Fried Zucchini with Cornmeal-from Allrecipes
2 zucchini, sliced, either 1/4" rounds or approx 1/4" wedges-I deseeded mine
1 onion sliced into rings, at least 1/4" thick
1/2 C A/P flour
1/2 C cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
a couple shakes of cayenne-optional
1 C vegetable oil for frying
- Mix the dry ingredients in large bowl, add zucchini and onion, add lid and shake well.
- Let sit for 30 minutes so a batter forms on the veggies (I kept giving it an additional shake).
- Heat oil in medium skillet and fry veggies in a few batches (a cast iron skillet works really well for this). Check after a couple minutes and turn the veggies once the bottom gets nice and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and add an additional sprinkling of salt.
- Note for deep fryer: 375 degrees, 4-5 minutes.