Now, I know what you're thinking... If you want it topped with cheese-go right ahead!
I enjoyed it as is:@)
1 lb ground beef
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into about 1/2" pieces
1/2 C yellow onion, 1/4" dice
1/4 C red bell pepper, 1/4" dice
1 Tblsp garlic, fine mince
2 Tblsp canola oil
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 C beef stock
1/2 C cilantro, chopped
2 large tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2" pieces
6 fat approx 5" long poblano peppers, more if smaller.
- Remove a triangular wedge from the top of the poblanos then run a cut down to the point (you want to be able to open it enough to clean and stuff it, there's a good pic HERE), remove seeds. Dice the wedges and add them to your onions.
- Heat skillet, add oil and ground beef. Break up meat.
- When lightly browned drain fat if necessary and add onion, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and the spices. Cook for 10 minutes stirring often. Add the potatoes and cilantro.
- Add beef stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stuff peppers. If you're making it to serve over rice or in tortillas cook for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, and serve.
- Place stuffed peppers in baking dish with a couple tsp of water, cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender.