Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Cranberry Apple Jam-Small Batch

It seems that every year I end up with whole cranberries in my freezer and wonder what I should make with them... This year I decided to pair them with a lonely apple and just the slightest hint of cinnamon, creating a very tasty breakfast treat! This Cranberry Apple Jam is beautiful and slightly tart, add a strong cup of coffee and it's a great way to start the day:@)

Cranberry Apple Jam
For every 1 cup of fresh cranberries use:
*1/2 C sugar
1/2 C water
1/2 large apple, peeled and grated
cinnamon to taste-I just wanted a hint and used 1/16 tsp per 1 C cranberries
1/4 lemon, juiced
  1. In large pot bring everything to a boil, reduce heat a bit but keep it boiling for about 10 minutes stirring constantly, you'll notice it begin to thicken up and coat a spoon nicely. 
  2. Ladle into sterilized jars and either cool and store covered in the fridge or process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
Notes:
  • If the cranberries weren't frozen I would have cut them in half and bounced them around in a colander to remove some of the seeds. 
  • *After it cooks for a bit carefully taste it, I like it a little more tart, you may want to add a little more sugar.
  • Cranberries can splatter and stain as they pop, try pushing them under the liquid with a spoon or potato masher to pop them.
  • Possible variation: I'd like to try using orange juice instead of water.
  • 2 cups of cranberries/1 apple gave me 2 1/2 half pint jars.
  • Other fresh cranberry ideas: Mostly Seedless Jelly, Cheesecake Topping, Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce and Cranberry Chess Pie.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Wildly Original Linky Party
Full Plate Thursday
Mix It Up Monday

27 comments:

  1. I know I would love the slightly tart flavor since I'm not one to like much sweet in the morning. And your jam is so pretty too - looks like a bright jewel. Happy New Year Lynn.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Sam... I would enjoy the tart flavor. Plus, this so pretty!

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I almost forgot, though I think I said it yesterday, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound wonderful - I have cranberries - I have apples - I soon will have cranberry/apple jam. On a piece of toasted home made bread - heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made jam in a similar fashion recently It's so good. And yours turned out beautiful!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love jam on my toast every morning, Lynn. Your jam looks like a perfect start to a morning. Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This jam looks pretty and sounds delicious, Lynn. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found a bag of fresh in the back of the fridge that I had forgotten about. I have the other ingredients and a couple of oranges that need to be used too...I can see some pretty, red jeweled jars in my future, thanks!
    A very Happy New Year to you and yours, my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn, I have a half bag of cranberries in my fridge now left over from Christmas morning coffee cake, and I was wondering what to do with it! Now I know--and I have the apple too. Sounds delicious! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delicious, Lynn! Love the combination of cranberry and apple.

    Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL I've got cranberries leftover, too! Thanks for the suggestion of how to use them up, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love jam that's a wee bit tart...this looks like a winner!!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am wishing you a wonderful new year. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds so good Lynn and sounds like something we'd like, especially with the orange juice! Wishing you a Happy, Healthy & Delicious New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well believe it or not, I happen to have some fresh cranberries in the freezer right now! I freeze them to put in water glasses during the holidays and have some left over. Looks like I have an idea of what to do with them now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds wonderful...I do have a cup or so of cranberries in the freezer...AND...I do have a couple apples...Thanks for the great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds great - I might try using orange juice, as you suggested.
    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh.. this sounds great!! You just reminded me that I have a jar of my favorite Orange Marmalade in the refrigerator. I know what I am having for breakfast!.
    Happy New Year!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lynn, I have been on a Christmas blog break .I'm back. You made me smile when I read your comment about changes. I said the exact same thing. I too love music. Smile.
    Since I am a big fan of making homemade jam, this sounds so good. My daughter and I just made mixed berry jam from the mixed berries from Costco. It is very good as well.

    Have a wonderful 2014 Lynn. A new year is always promising and thank you for your New year wishes.
    xo, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. This would be delicious with a pork roast too. I cooked pork tenderloins on New Years Eve and they would have been way better with some of this on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yum and what a beautiful color. I would love that on a fresh biscuit or homemade whole wheat toast! What a beautiful jam. I hope 2014 treats you well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lynn,
    What a great Jam for this time of the year and a perfect addition to the collection! Thanks so much for bringing this awesome recipe to Full Plate Thursday today and have a great weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just found your site. This is perfect as it's just Hubs and me. Will double or make two batches for Christmas gifts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had to try this for Christmas morning, so here I am at 9 p.m. on Christmas Eve mixing up this small batch of cranberry/apple jam for our Christmas morning feast. I prefer the tart flavor and the only apples I have are Granny Smith, so I'll have to be a little more generous with the sugar - heck, it's Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds excellent, and since we give 'foodie' gifts, I think I will make a small batch this year. And the dolls were adorable. Hugs and have a great holiday season! Sandi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!