Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Quick White Bread Recipe

I've been making this fast bread from SeriousEats for over a year now. It's a yeast bread recipe that can be in the oven within 1 1/2 hours. They suggest baking it on a sheet pan, I felt the bread spread out too much so I tried it in a bread pan. It worked very well!
This is a very nice bread to whip up when I didn't quite plan well enough for Sunday dinner:@)
They suggested the slit in the top, I won't do that next time, it just doesn't look pretty.
Note to self: If making a loaf, make it early so it has time to cool before slicing!

Fast White Bread-from SeriousEats
1 C warm water
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 Tblsp honey
2 C bread flour, divided-I use A/P flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tblsp butter, softened
Egg wash-1 egg beaten with 1 Tblsp water
Sesame seeds-I used poppy this time
  1. Combine water, yeast, honey and 1 1/2 C flour in mixing bowl, mix, cover and let sit for anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. It will be very wet and bubbly.
  2. Sprinkle corn meal on a baking sheet and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  3. Knead in the salt, butter and remaining flour. 
  4. Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead a few times. Form into a log about 12" long and place it seam side down on the sheet pan. 
  5. Cover with plastic and let rise until double, about 20-30 minutes. Don't let the plastic touch the dough.
  6. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle on seeds, slash the dough down the middle and bake until golden, approximately 30 minutes.
  7. Let loaf cool completely on a rack before slicing.
Notes:
I find this to be a very loose, wet, sticky dough... After adding the last 1/2 C of flour I turn it out onto a well floured surface and use my bench scraper to keep turning the dough onto itself incorporating enough extra flour until I can pick the dough up without it totally sticking to may hands. It's still loose, but I can manage to get it into the bread pan. The second rise is very fast, maybe 15 minutes.

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

15 comments:

  1. Love that with the seeds on the top - something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this kind of bread and I really like the slit in the top. It makes it look like an artisan bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fragrance of fresh bread baking. I'm giving the recipe to the chef and see if he'll make this for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. This bread looks delicious. I'm supposed to be cutting out gluten but still may try this for my husband. I'm not a bread person unless it's homemade.
    This looks easy enough and not too time consuming.
    Blessings, barb
    I love that you include photos. I'm still practicing with those on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O .I Iove bread with a passion. Every time we decide we need to loose a few lbs. and cut out everything WHITE, I miss bread the most.
    I MUST try this recipe.
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I get it. I never knew how the "dent" got into the top of the loaves. Love the seeds on top too. This would make great toast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks YUM.
    I've got to try this right away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynn, Pretty is so important too! It looks delicious. Thank you.
    xo, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll bet your boys enjoy this loaf of bread! I like it's fast. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fresh bread even better than dessert! This looks amazing! Any left? heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy, does this bread look wonderful! And it's quick? I must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bread is one of my weaknesses! I will be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great. I will have to try this recipe. I love finding and making good, quick bread recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bread is one of my weaknesses~ I would eat the whole loaf :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the poppy seeds on top! I also love that it's a good bread for if you're in a hurry. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!