Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pressure Cooker Brown Rice

Did she really just post something this simple? Yes folks I did, because I think it's great and want to make sure you know about it too! I read a few weeks ago that someone makes a big bowl of brown rice on the weekend and leaves it in the fridge for quick meals during the week-I think that's brilliant! What's even better is using the pressure cooker, talk about an amazing consistency-flaky, fluffy single grains, not wet and mushy... and in way less than 30 minutes!
 I used my 4 qt electronic pressure cooker from QVC and set the timer to 13 minutes. 
Gotta mention again that this is one of my favorite kitchen toys of all time. 

Pressure Cooker Brown Rice
1 C brown rice
1 1/2 C water
-Set pressure cooker to 13 minutes and let the pressure come down naturally.

Notes: 
  • You barely even need to fluff this folks, it's just beautiful. 
  • I freeze a lot of soups but don't care for frozen rice so this is perfect for adding to soup, etc. as I'm heating up my lunch for the thermos.
  • Did anyone else grow up eating rice for breakfast? Pour milk over warm rice and top with cinnamon and sugar-good stuff:@)
  • Note to self: Smallest amount = 1 C water + 2/3 C rice.
Eat well and have a happy day!

I'm joining:
Hearth and Soul

11 comments:

  1. I guess I'd better dig out the 'ol pressure cooker... I received a new one for Christmas about 10 years ago, used it a few times, then lost it to the back of the cupboard. Then it seemed like too much work to try to dig it out and relearn how to use it!

    I guess I also had better peruse the past posts with pressure cooker recipes from my 'ol friend the muddy pig!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of this before, but I haven't tried it. I need to get out my pressure cooker as well. My favorite thing about this recipe is I won't have to yell at everyone for lifting the lid on the rice while it's cooking. :-D Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for submitting your recipe to Hearth and Soul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a pressure cooker. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my pressure cooker too and sure appreciate you sharing your uses for it. - I would like to try white rice, do you know if it would be the same amounts? I guess I could look and see if it is in the book. - When I was young, we did have rice for breakfast on very rare occasions, but it was like a side dish with cinnamon, butter and cream..Yum! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn,
    My mom gave me her pressure cooker a couple of years ago because she no longer uses it. I have yet to use it, (I can tomatoes and preserves with hot water bath)but plan to this year - and this would be a great way to familiarize myself with it!
    Mister does love rice.
    The breakfast idea sounds wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't own a pressure cooker any more, but they are fabulous appliances. Great idea to cook ahead for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't need even ONE more kitchen appliance...... but now you have me thinking about pressure cookers! Wow, thirteen minutes? Amazing!! I might have to put one of these on my "wish list"! :) You're not a very good influence on my de-cluttering, simplifying program :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to get out my pressure cooker! Yes, I love rice with milk and sugar and cinnamon. I LOVE brown rice...mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If only my daughter hadn't ruined my pressure cooker (sigh). I love rice almost as much as I love beans and rice : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too cook rice in pressure cooker, especially brown rice. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!