Thursday, May 24, 2012

Faux Gumbo

The Yankee's in the kitchen again... I have truly enjoyed gumbo when I've had it and love okra! How about a quicker, lighter meal that's similar in flavor and truly uses up some of the things in the freezer. This is a modified recipe from Martha Stewart and it's so easy I made it in the morning before work. I used leftover chicken, adding a little sausage or kielbasa would be nice too.
No heavy sauce, the only naughty thing is the bacon grease and there wasn't much of that!
This was fantastic over pressure cooker brown rice.
Faux Gumbo-for... maybe two with salad and bread:@)
Half of a small onion, small dice
1 large garlic clove, minced
Half of a green pepper, about 3/4" dice-I freeze extra peppers
Heaping Tblsp bacon grease-in lieu of sausage
Half a can of diced tomatoes-leftover and frozen, I used petite dice
About a cup of okra-Had a bag in the freezer
1 tsp Emeril's Essence-homemade recipe here
Sliced pre-cooked chicken-leftovers from the freezer thawed, however much you have or would like
A few grinds of black pepper
Salt to taste-I used smoked salt because I had it
Serve over rice
  1. Over medium heat saute the onion in bacon grease, stirring, until it starts to get translucent.
  2. Add garlic and green pepper, stirring, cook for about 2 minutes.
  3. Add tomatoes, okra and Emeril's Essence, cook for about 8 minutes-until the tomato liquid reduces a bit.
  4. Add S&P to taste and serve over rice.
I really enjoyed this folks, just use it as a guide and make your own great Faux Gumbo:@)
Have a happy day:@)

I'm joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

17 comments:

  1. How funny you mentioned being from the north, yet liking okra. Several of my college dorm mates were from Maine, yet they were here in the South for college. One day one of the girls wondered why we Southerns ate fried okra every day, so she got a bowl to try. The kids who weren't from the South all grabbed a piece, but many threw it away saying it smelled. This girl tried it, but said it was too slimy.

    How funny since I love okra. I've never had it not fried, but your recipe does look tempting enough for me to want to try it.

    I am a bit concerned about Earl and hope you covered his eyes when you put that bacon grease in the pan! No need to cause the poor pig any traumatic experiences about his dear old friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, this certainly looks easier than the traditional gumbo that starts with making the roux which I find to be a real pain. Fried and in gumbo is about the only way to eat okra in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my that looks soooooooo YUMMY! I'll have to share the recipe with my hubby as he LOVES okra!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great recipe for a quick weeknight dinner. Thanks for sharing. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll defiantely be giving this recipe a try.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. My southern hubby would love it if I made gumbo...which I have yet to do. He just might get some in the future with this recipe, so much easier that the others.

    Have a lovely weekend, my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love any recipe that will use up things in my fridge and freezer. We like just veg. gumbo sometimes so I will be making this one.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I've never had okra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had okra either....but I saw a really cute craft where you could make Santa ornaments out of them.
    Mister likes gumbo a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okra - eeewww. Even so I love stopping in to see what's cookin'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot do okra either unless it is fried. I have brown rice in the rice cooker right now-doing a stir fry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We grow our own Okra, that's how much we love it. This is an awesome recipe for us, we will just love it. Hope you have a great holiday week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. At first glance, I thought, no way would I like this. But looking at the recipe, the only thing I would have to omit would be the peppers. Then I would certainly like this! What I find more impressive however, is the fact that you have time to do this before work. Note to self: get up earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love gumbo too and this looks good. Thanks, Lynn!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lynn,
    it is early morning and I hadn't have a breakfast yet. And now I am hungry for your faux gumbo. Isn't that strange? But I am on a diet and I will be virtuous - no faux gumbo this morning!
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynn,

    Good morning! This sounds wonderful. I shall give it a try. Have a great weekend.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, a really easy gumbo recipe! I like your style, Lynn. Hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!