For more traditional Beignets you could coat the donuts in powdered sugar as Plain Chicken did here.
These are good and the orange zest really adds a nice bright flavor!
Orange Sugar Fried Donut Holes
1 orange, zested
1 C sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon-I suggest 1/2 tsp
1 tube (8 large) store bought buttermilk biscuit dough
Vegetable oil for frying
- Place zest, sugar and cinnamon in paper bag and shake to combine-I used a Lock-N-Lock bowl and lid.
- Heat oil in deep pan to 350 degrees.
- Slice dough into quarters and roll into balls-or not. I used a pizza cutter and found the "triangles" easier to turn.
- Working in batches fry dough on each side until golden brown (6-8 minutes)-mine took 1-2 minutes total.
- Transfer donuts to paper bag and shake to coat with sugar mixture.
- Serve immediately.