The recipe will make two 9" round cakes so I usually just make a half batch, bake it in a pie dish and serve it from that. This is one of those cakes that's not too sweet so it's good with morning coffee and not too sweet so it's also good with ice cream at night.
I added the pic from the magazine so you could see how it should look. If the nectarines soften up maybe I'll make another one and take some more pictures. It is tasty and I do recommend you try it:@)
1 1/2 C A/P flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C plus 1 Tblsp sugar
1/2 C whole milk-I use 2%
1/4 C vegetable oil
1 large egg
9 or 10 large black plums, halved and pitted (do not peel)
1/4 tsp cinnamon-I leave this out
2 Tblsp cold butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for pans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees for metal (375 for glass dishes). Butter two 9" round cake pans.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl combine 3/4 C sugar, milk, oil and egg. Fold into flour mixture.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and smooth tops. Arrange plums, cut sides up, over batter.
- Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar and sprinkle over plums. Dot with butter-I don't do this.
- Bake until tops are dark golden, plums are soft and a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. 30-35 minutes. Let cool.
- Cakes are best the day they're made, leftovers are good for breakfast the next day.