It's even better the next day, I haven't tried freezing it yet but don't expect any problems.
Rustic Cabbage Soup modified from 101 Cookbooks
1 Tblsp olive oil
Big pinch of salt
1/2 pound potatoes, skin on, 1/4" dice
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
5 C chicken stock
1 1/2 C white beans (canned is great, rinse well and just use what's in one can for a whole batch)
1/2 medium cabbage, cored and sliced into 1/4" ribbons
EVOO for drizzling
1/2 C Parmesan for topping
Heat pot, add EVOO, potatoes and salt. Cover pot and cook till slightly tender approx 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion and garlic, stir and cook about 2 minutes.
Add stock and bring to simmer, add cabbage. Cook a couple minutes until just starting to get soft. Add beans allow to heat through.
- I added more EVOO, the potatoes seemed to need it.
- I added a carrot for color.
- I suggest navy (preferred) or great northern beans, not canallini they are too heavy for this soup.
- You do have to add salt, it is important.
- I didn't drizzle the EVOO or add the Parm at the end, love it just as it is!
- I highly recommend this soup, add a loaf of crusty bread-perfection:@)