Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Rustic Cabbage Soup!

Hey everyone, I'm happy to be joining Foodie Friday, It's A Keeper and Soup-A-Palooza today! Did you ever make something that just screams healthy? This soup is amazing! Let's see... cabbage, beans, potatoes, chicken stock, onion, olive oil and enough garlic to ward off vampires!
It's even better the next day, I haven't tried freezing it yet but don't expect any problems.
Hope you love it if you try it:@)

Rustic Cabbage Soup modified from 101 Cookbooks
1 Tblsp olive oil
Big pinch of salt
1/2 pound potatoes, skin on, 1/4" dice
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
5 C chicken stock
1 1/2 C white beans (canned is great, rinse well and just use what's in one can for a whole batch)
1/2 medium cabbage, cored and sliced into 1/4" ribbons
For serving:
EVOO for drizzling
1/2 C Parmesan for topping

Heat pot, add EVOO, potatoes and salt. Cover pot and cook till slightly tender approx 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion and garlic, stir and cook about 2 minutes.
Add stock and bring to simmer, add cabbage. Cook a couple minutes until just starting to get soft. Add beans allow to heat through.

My notes:
  • I added more EVOO, the potatoes seemed to need it. 
  • I added a carrot for color.
  • I suggest navy (preferred) or great northern beans, not canallini they are too heavy for this soup.
  • You do have to add salt, it is important.
  • I didn't drizzle the EVOO or add the Parm at the end, love it just as it is!
  • I highly recommend this soup, add a loaf of crusty bread-perfection:@)

23 comments:

  1. This sounds really healthy and low in points. I love home made soups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love cabbage soup around here. Your recipe is different from the ones I do and I'm anxious to try it. Thanks!

    Best
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar recipe and it is always a hit when I make it. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this soup.. I made it last year and ate it every day- 4 times a day for 9 days and nites lol.. It was addictive- the flavor I mean.. I used the navy beans and added a half cup of barley too.. It was more like a stoup:) thats stew and soup combo ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn~~~~

    This looks heavenly. I love cabbage soup and never thought to include potatoes or beans! Don't you love making soups? You can get so creative! Thanks for the recipe!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never had cabbage soup, but it looks so good that I will have to try! We love soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn, Wanted to say that your kitchen gadget party was fun! I didn't get a post up but I read others' posts and learned a great deal. Also this soup looks good and I'm printing it off so I can try it. We enjoy soup at our house and I think this one is a keeper!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy, this does look yummy!! Gonna have to try it.
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to try this! Being Polish, I happen to love cabbage. Great Winter soup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I had a bowl right now!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! I am one of those crazy women who can cabbage soup. 30 years or so ago, there was a cabbage soup diet, and I tweak that recipe a bit and can it. Actually opened a jar last night, and it was so good! Yes, the cabbage flavor was strong, but why is that a bad thing???

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cabbage in soup and with beans, all the better! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so YUMMY!! Lynn will try this one for sure..Hugs and smiles Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for visiting my blog...sorry I didn't comment sooner! This looks great...I just might have to try it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just made this for supper tonight, and it was a hit! Definitely a make-again kind of soup! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! This looks amazing. I cannot wait to try it out. Bookmarking it to make soon. I am still drooling over the picture. Send me a bowl!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummm-meee....sounds wonderful.
    You must be a fabulous cook...so many great recipes from you.
    xoxo bj

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks really good. I havent made a cabbage soup in... awhile, lol. Gonna have to make this too. Glad I stoppin by your blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love a good Cabbage Soup. This sounds great and with the temperature at 15° today I can't go wrong serving this. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am soooooo going to make this. Love, love, love this kind of soup!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its a wet, windy, cold day in Kentucky... I'm whippin up a batch of this delicious soup. My husband & I love it & some of the teenagers do too. Makin the stuffed cornbread to go with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a big fan of cabbage and I am copying the recipe. Maybe for the coming week :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!