Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Busy Day Slow Cooker Dry White Bean Soup with Ham

I'm still trying to use my Crock Pot(s) more and decided to toss a quick Slow Cooker White Bean Soup together one day before leaving for work. It was nice and easy (the most involved part was cutting up a carrot and stalk of celery), and I have to say, it turned out pretty good:@) There are a million recipes out there, I'll just list what worked for me. As with most things, I made a half batch, you can simply double the recipe below for a regular amount of soup. Nothing gourmet, but this was a hearty, nourishing, cold weather meal!

Note about cooking time: I had some 100 year old beans in the closet, I used mostly great northern and topped it off with navy beans. I did not soak mine and did not lift the lid for at least 8 hours. Gave them a stir at that point and they needed another hour of cooking time. Bottom line: Beans will take longer to cook the older they are...

Easy Slow Cooker White Bean Soup with Ham
1 C dry great northern or navy beans, picked through and rinsed-I didn't soak mine
4 C water
1 1/2 tsp Chicken Better Than Bouillon
Heaping 1 Tblsp dry minced onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 large carrot, chunky diced
1 large stalk celery, chunky diced
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp dry thyme
Cooked ham, diced, as much as desired added at end, just heat through
14.5 oz can diced tomato with juice
Couple handfuls of frozen chopped spinach
Additional garlic powder and onion powder and Chicken Better Than Bouillon as desired
Small splash vinegar or lemon juice-I used red wine vinegar this time

  1. Add everything up to and including thyme to vessel of 4 quart slow cooker.
  2. Cover and cook on low 8 hours ~or~ until beans are soft.
  3. Stir, add ham, tomatoes and spinach, taste, add a little more garlic/onion powder and Chicken Better Than Bouillon if desired to taste.
  4. Heat thorough, maybe 30 minutes. Add small splash of vinegar and serve.

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

4 comments:

  1. there is nothing better than coming home to a simmering crock pot, I made soup in mine yesterday too. Your ham, veggies and bean soup sounds healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bean and ham soups are so delicious and how wonderful to have a comforting meal when you get home from work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!