Saturday, November 2, 2013

Free Barbie Clothes Patterns-Pants, Skirt and T-Shirt

Nosing around Pinterest one day I found a great sheet of simple Free Barbie Clothes Patterns. They are from embyquinn. I tried to track down the written instructions but couldn't match these patterns up exactly. I haven't tried the skirt or shirt yet but made the pants and wanted to share my notes and instructions along with the pattern pieces.
What's that? You're having a hard time believing Barbie was helping stack fire wood??? 
Yea, me too:@)

But I'm lovin' these pants!
So many fun possibilities...
I can't wait to skinny-up the pattern and make leggings out of a knit fabric!
Notes:
  1. I saved the picture as a download. Then double clicked it and used the scroll wheel on my mouse to make the pic bigger. For the scale to be correct you want that little gray box to measure 1" across. I laid a piece of paper on my monitor and gently traced over it. 
  2. All seam allowances are 1/8". Before you begin sewing please note how small 1/8" really is... You'll thank me for this later:@)
  3. The pants are a generous fit through the hips and thighs. Now, while I might need a little extra room in those areas... Barbie does not. Since my fabric was denim (and didn't have any drape or movement), I did make the seam allowance a little wider through the hips and thighs. It's your call.

3/25/16 Update: I found Emby Quinn's instructions HERE. So glad I did:@)

Here's what I did for the pants:
  1. Sew crotch area first-Sew from top of front seam around to notch of back seam. Back stitch.
  2. Fold waist bands over, front and both back pieces, sew hems.
  3. Fold both sides of fabric from notch up to back waist-like you're going to hem them. Correctly position velcro (um, double check this a couple times...) and sew velcro on each side to be able to close the pants. This will create the hem too.
  4. Hem bottom cuffs.
  5. Side seams-I'm not sure how to describe this but flip the fabric so the side seams meet to make a leg (right sides of fabric together) and sew sides closed. I had to play with it for a while and somehow it finally made sense... Can anyone explain this better in the comments?
  6. Turn inside out, smile and dress the doll!

20 comments:

  1. You are so talented! It's hard so sew little tiny outfits like that. I've been away for quite some time and I'm happy I dropped in. Your blog is still great!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, I love those pants! What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the pattern, the source and your tips, Lynn. Barbie looks great in her new jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Lynn. I'm forwarding this to a few friends who have grands and might use them. Wish I looked like that in a pair of jeans. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who gets all these cute Barbie clothes???
    My mom made my daughter a lot of Barbie clothes and I think she still has them. Neither of her daughters liked playing with Barbies...wouldn't ya know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only a spectacular seamstress can make these mini clothes so perfectly!! You rock, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you found these patterns useful. I made them about ten, twelve years ago and I still use them today. Your girl is rocking those jeans!

    I'm sorry the written instructions were hard to follow; I suck as an instructor. :(

    But you did a great job with the jeans anyway!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn, I need a pair of jeans that fit as good as Barbie's...*sigh* :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute...my daughter will love them. Thanks for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute Lynn!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your pattern for the jeans and skirt. Your easy to follow step by step instructions are clear and precise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job. My doll would love a pair! But I can’t find Velcro where I live as fine as the stuff you used. Would you mind telling me where you bought it (assuming you remember), or any information on the package? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I got it at Walmart. Have a nice day!

      Delete
    2. If you can't find the Velcro, you can always use a snap instead! They are what people used when making Barbie clothes before the creation of Velcro. I know this because my mother and I both made Barbie clothes when I was a little girl.

      Delete
  13. Love it! Thank you so very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wouldn't it be a little easier to write measurements on the patterns. Then we could try to make our own from that. Just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The measurements would be helpful. I'm a newbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, the square is the measurement. Once you make that equal one inch, print the page out and they are your pattern pieces. Have fun:@)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!