Thursday, December 8, 2016

Christmas Panettone-A Bread Machine Recipe

Christmas breads make great gifts and we're all going to enjoy Panettone this year (ooops, pretend you didn't see that Ma:@) Panettone is a lightly sweetened dried fruit yeast bread made with egg. It's great eaten as is, makes nice French toast or is good used in bread pudding. In addition to citrus and fruit it has the feint aroma of vanilla and almond extract. This is a very nice bread to try folks!

Tip: If you use home dried maraschinos or purchased candied cherries (even Dollar Tree has them)
add them to the bread maker whole, they will get broken up by the paddle.

Contemplating a new bread machine for Christmas? A year ago I upgraded my machine to a Mini Zojirushi and highly recommend the Zo brand, it truly makes a beautiful loaf of bread. I chose the mini because I live alone and a one pound loaf is more than enough for our Sunday dinners. This little baby gets quite the workout at my house! And since my son is thinking about getting one I'm going to start posting our favorite bread machine recipes~stay tuned:@)

Two other fun bread gifts from the kitchen: Christmas Stollen and Christmas (Quick) Bread.

1 lb Panettone for Bread Machine
1/2 C water
2 Tblsp butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
zest of half a lemon
2 C + 2 Tblsp A/P flour-might need a little more
2 Tblsp sugar
2 Tblsp powdered milk
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast-I used 1 tsp regular, 1/2 tsp rapid rise
generous 1/2 C dried fruit-raisins, currents, apricots, pineapple, cherries, cranberries and candied orange peel
optional-I like to add some slivered almonds
  1. Add everything to pan of bread maker (except fruit/nuts) in order given. 
  2. Press light or soft setting. Look at the dough after it's been mixed a couple minutes, add a little more flour if it isn't making a nice smooth ball.
  3. Add fruit/nuts at beep.
  4. Pour a cuppa, enjoy the fragrance and love life:@)
Happy Holiday Baking!

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

8 comments:

  1. I would never attempt to make it, but sure would enjoy a big, hot slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love a big slice of this panettone, Lynn. Thanks for your tips on the cherries, too. I think it's neat that your son wants to buy a bread machine. I used to have one, but got rid of it. Now you have me thinking about one again! I'm off to check out your other recipes....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm the stollen sounds delicious and is beautiful, and I've made your Christmas Bread, and loved it (thanks for the reminder)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love panettone Lynn, I always pick up a box or two around the holidays and Panettone French Toast is divine! A bread machine would be a dangerous thing at my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I've never tasted panetonne bread? Yours turned out beautifully! I will look forward to your bread machine recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Panettone Bread looks beautiful and delicious. I really miss my Bread Machine! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a regular 2 pound Zojirushi. I would assume I would just double all of the ingredients except the yeast?? Also, I'm confused by the setting...with mine, you pick the kind of loaf (regular, quick, wheat), and either light,medium or dark loaf. Is this regular or quick, light or medium crust???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I push the button on my Zo until it reads "soft" for almost every loaf I make. I'm sure regular and light would work too. Have fun:@)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!