Monday, June 3, 2024

Sauerkraut Breakfast Hash & Sauerkraut Tip...

This is different folks, and one of the best breakfasts I've had in a while:@) Even though I forgot to top it with the cheese... It's also a nice way to use up some leftovers. Sauerkraut Breakfast Hash is a hearty way to start the morning and loaded with vegetables. Very similar to a Farmer's Omelet, only with the addition of kraut, and it's a scramble instead. It does call for draining the kraut, I pressed mine against a mesh colander. And since I used a fresh potato I did take the time to rinse the shreds under cold water and squeeze that dry. I'm sure you could use frozen hash browns without a problem if desired. Even though sauerkraut and eggs might sound a little odd... Don't hesitate to give it a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

As someone that lives alone, it's hard to use a whole can or jar of sauerkraut... My tip: Sauerkraut freezes well. I'll portion the extra out into single serving baggies, then put the bags inside a Lock and Lock so the fridge doesn't smell like kraut. Works great!

I've also been finding these glass jars of sauerkraut at Dollar Tree recently. They are nice because it lasts longer in the fridge stored in the glass jar.

Sauerkraut Breakfast Hash-from Frank's Kraut
2 C potatoes, shredded
1 small onion, sliced
2 bell peppers, any color, sliced
1 C ham, sliced
1 C sauerkraut, drained
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 C cheese, swiss or any flavor
  1. If using fresh potatoes, rinse until water runs clear, then squeeze dry.
  2. Brown potatoes in butter.
  3. Once they begin to brown, add sauerkraut, onion, pepper and ham. 
  4. Cook until potatoes are brown and vegetables are softened.
  5. Pour in eggs and scramble with everything else.
  6. Top with cheese.
Eat well and Have a Happy Day:@)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!