Monday, May 8, 2023

Tamale Pie -Retro Jiffy Cornbread Recipe

I've wanted to try a Tamale Pie for a while, found a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix in the cabinet and decided to put it to good use:@) The beauty of this meal is, you can mix and match and add anything you'd like to. The only constant is the cornbread. Most use ground beef, some sub chicken, vegetarian options call for black beans and sweet potato. I've seen recipes calling for creamed corn, and some, including the one on Jiffy's site, bake the cornbread first, then top it with the meat and cheese. I like the look of the cornbread on top.
I used a disposable regular size lasagna pan, 
worked well with plenty of room for more additions:@)
To stretch the version below, add a can of drained black beans.
I used two ears of fresh corn.

Tamale Pie
1 lb ground beef-can cut back or sub some beans
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/2 large green pepper, chopped
14.5 oz can sweet corn, drained -or- up to 2 C frozen corn, thawed -or- 2-3 ears fresh corn
10 oz Rotel, drained, hot or mild-you know your crowd
1 envelope taco seasoning, or up to 3 Tblsp your favorite blend
8 oz tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
S&P to taste
up to 1 C cheddar cheese, shredded-optional
1 box Jiffy mix
1 egg
1/3 C milk
Serve with sour cream, salsa, or hot sauce.
  1. Cook ground beef with onion and peppers until no longer pink. 
  2. Add corn, Rotel, taco seasoning, tomato sauce and sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a couple minutes. 
  3. Pour into 9x13 baking dish.
  4. Sprinkle top with cheese.
  5. In separate bowl combine Jiffy Mix, egg and milk. Pour over cheese.
  6. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cornbread is done.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

5 comments:

  1. My Dad always made this and it was so good. You've shared a good recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this sounds great, I love the cornbread on top!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good Lynn. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven’t made a tamale pie in quite awhile and it just so happens that I have a box of Jiffy in my pantry. I’m going to make your version soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really good recipe...I used to make a huge pan of it for my boys when they were in sports at school...and came home ravenous! NUM! I had a creamed chicken version also-- now it's too much for us to eat with only two!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!