Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Unpollinated Zucchini in Salad -Use It Up... Raised Bed Gardening

On today's episode of Frugal Living-Squeeze that Penny til it Squeals...
I'm really enjoying watching my raised bed garden grow, and will share some updated pics soon. Today I wanted to pass along an idea to help use up every little bit of garden goodness we can... The zucchini are growing and I noticed that several female flowers opened long before any male flowers did. (And no, this isn't a joke about guys being late bloomers:@) This meant, by the time the female flowers faded, the fruit couldn't be pollinated and wouldn't grow. Don't let the baby zukes just dry up folks, simply cut them from the plant and add them to a salad. Slicing them on a diagonal makes slightly bigger bites. Super simple, and a great way to 'use it up'. Cutting them off also helps give the plant energy to make more zucchini too, it's a win-win.

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:

4 comments:

  1. I've sure enjoyed the zucchini I got at the farmer's mkt. I steam it....easy peasy! How nice to have a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaving zucchini is another way to get it used up. It has a lighter impact when added to salads. We've even sauteed it with other veggies and added it to pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have to use every bit with the rising price of foods, Lynn. I’m looking forward to seeing your raised beds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely have a green thumb. I'm hoping our tomato plants start growing, LOL. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!