Wednesday, September 25, 2019

German Red Cabbage with Apple -Slow Cooker or Stove Top

I've been giving the slow cooker a lot of thought, and trial and error lately, and I've decided sometimes it works best for me if I use a combination of techniques... This German Red Cabbage with Apple is a great example of that. I started everything out covered on high for 1 1/2 hours and then took the lid off for the next 1 1/2 hours, still cooking on high, and gave it a stir whenever I passed by. This way the cabbage gets a nice head start by cooking hot, and then the excess liquid evaporates during the last of the cooking time. We all really enjoyed this pickled sweet/sour cabbage and I'll be adding it to occasional pork or sausage dinners going forward. Oktoberfest anyone???

Not sure what's going on with color of these pictures... The cabbage is actually a purple that's a shade or two darker, but you get the idea:@) 
I made a half batch in a 2 quart Crock Pot. You can click the original link to find the stove top instructions. I've given this my coleslaw label because it can be served hot, cold or at room temperature.

German Red Cabbage Recipe-adapted from Taste of Home
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
1 medium apple, peeled and sliced or diced-at least 1/2" dice might be best, the apple cooks down
1 medium head red cabbage, approximately 8 C shredded
1/3 C sugar
1/3 C white vinegar
3/4 tsp salt, optional
1/4 tsp pepper
  1. Make a couple layers of cabbage, apples and onions in vessel of slow cooker.
  2. Sprinkle top with sugar, S&P.
  3. Drizzle vinegar over top, don't stir.
  4. Place lid on slow cooker, turn to high, leave lid on. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, remove lid, stir and cook for 1 1/2 hours longer on high, or until cabbage is tender. Give it a few stirs during this time.
  5. Serve hot, room temperature or cold.
This is truly the definition of eating well and having a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Wonderful Wednesday
Creative Muster
A Morning Cup of Joe
Weekend Potluck
Meal Plan Monday

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Lynn! I love cabbage :-) Hope you had a good summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother in law was full German and she used to make red cabbage all the time, but I've never tried it...your slow cooker method sounds good...I often start my slow cooker out on high to get things rolling and then turn it down later
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Recipes like this always remind me of my in-laws---they'd love it, too. Fingers crossed for the Packers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cabbage, too, and eat a salad of it everyday. Your side dish looks so pretty and sounds perfect for Octoberfest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After living in Germany as a young woman/au pair I fell in love with red cabbage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous color Lynn and perfect for Crocktober! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!