Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Apple Cake

Love it when I happen upon a recipe that someone says is great and I have all of the ingredients on hand! I saw this seasonal cake over at Sweet Nothings and whipped one up to take to the office-thanks BJ
Since I did make some minor changes to the recipe I'll list how I made it and provide a link the original. This recipe is made in an 8x8 pan, the original is 9x13 and BJ used a bundt pan and added a pecan praline sauce.

Apple Cake-adapted from Between You and Me-Apple Bars
1/4 C vegetable oil
1/4 C applesauce-I use natural, unsweetened
1/2 C plus 1/8 C sugar (I suggest 1/2 C plus 1/4 C)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 C A/P flour
dash salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 apple, peeled and cored, 1/4" dice-I had Rome
Sanding sugar-optional
  1. I consider this a dump cake, add everything to the bowl of the mixer except apple, and let 'er rip.
  2. Scrape down the sides and give one final mix.
  3. Fold in the apples with a spatula/spoon.
  4. Spread into an 8x8 pan that the bottom has been greased with butter, or sprayed with non-stick spray.
  5. Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Oven temps vary greatly, monitor the cake and watch closely once you really start to smell the apples baking. A toothpick will come out clean and the top will spring back when lightly touched. Mine took 37 minutes.
  6. Cool completely and serve.
I cut back on the sugar from the original recipe, 
as soon as Earl tasted the batter he complained shared his wisdom about that...
Of course it didn't stop him from licking the beater clean though:@)
So I ended up sprinkling the top lightly with coarse sanding sugar.
It added more sweetness and a sparkly and crunchy element to the top of the cake.

Tip: It's good to replace some of the oil in baking by using apple sauce. I keep the individual cups on hand for this reason. One container is about 1/3 C of applesauce. While they cost a little more, they stay fresher longer and I never finish a bigger jar of applesauce once I open it, so it's less wasteful for me.

Eat well and have a happy day!

I'm Joining: Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits

25 comments:

  1. Girl! Do not tempt me before I've had my breakfast. Good Golly, Miss Molly, this sure looks GOOD!

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks just so good. And it must smell heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice treat to take to the office. Love those snack cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY...so glad you liked it. It is indeed, a keep recipe.
    Now, I just bought more tart apples for a pie I found on a blog..
    playing Bunco today so will be gone all day but will make the pie on Thurs. morning. It sure sounds good. We'll see....
    and, I have to agree with Earl...sweets are meant to be....SWEET. :))
    (I do love that ole Earl)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have all of the ingredients which doesn't normally happen to me either...I'm with Earl, if I want something healthy, I'd eat it..although, there is apple in this, so I guess you could consider it a 'health food'..Yeah! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's time to bake with this cool fall air. I love an easy cake recipe Lynn. thanks:}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to say I gave you AND Earl a shout out on my apple post...
    just HAD to add your comment and I want folks to read your cute post....:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum, Lynnn, this looks SOOO good!! I like the 8x8 pans for a nice snack cake, and I like being able to cut the cake in squares. It makes things more convenient. Thanks for sharing this recipe, and I love that Earl! :D

    Have a wonderful day!

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure do have some lucky co-workers! Love the idea of sugar on top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Earl on this one! ;) But that spice apple cake is just irresistible, and I am sure it is fabulous just the way it is. Blessings dear one, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. O' how I do love visiting here with yall...Earl makes me Happier than a Pig in Mud...you go boy,I agree with Earl(oink!oink) let's have more sugar,sweeter the better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun post! I read BJ's first and then had to stop over and see what you and Earl had to say. Apple cake and apple bread and "all things pumpkin" - I'm all over those things right now, and having fun doing some baking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect little cake! I'm with Earl. That little guy has the right idea. I'll bet your office people were happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my favorite kind of cake, no icing! You might like my apple dapple cake that I posted some time ago. I can eat the whole thing which is the bad news.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lynn, I have this recipe and love it so much. My hubs does not so I don't make it anymore. sigh. Tell Earl I would lick the batter on the beaters too. Smile!
    Hugs, Janne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Earl is so smart!!! Yummm.. this cake sounds wonderful. I've got a mess load of apples, and soon I will have cake too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Earl, you can come over and hang out in my kitchen anyday! We think alike. Nothing like a moist apple cake. I am sure you are the hit of the office Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are all making me so hungry for this cake! I can't eat sugar at all so I'm liking the tips about the applesauce and BJ s tip on the sugar substitute! This sure looks good! Are you going to make another one just for Earl....and me? heehee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lynnie! Oh, that cake looks so good and I do love me some apples. Thank you for popping in with your sweet comments. Let's be happy together.
    You are a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Laughing at Earls tidbit of wisdom here. I often think that when I try to healthy up a recipe. LOL
    This sounds delicious, and fall begs for apple dishes in my mind. Apples and pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh! I couldn't have come to visit on a better day! A trip to the apple orchard this weekend will have me baking this cake. I also love the Candy Corn cake on your sidebar. You turn food into art! Wonderful! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks so good. Your lil pig is so cute, lol. Love the plate too... I remember eatin off plates like that when I was a kid... makes me think of my mommas kitchen <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Decreasing the sugar makes it absolutely appropriate for breakfast ;) I love apple cake and yours looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!