Monday, September 3, 2012

Yo-Yo Scarecrow Ornament/Lavender Sachet

I saw the cutest lavender filled garden gnome tutorial at Wesens-Art and immediately bookmarked it. To welcome fall I thought a scarecrow would be fun. Feeding the fabric through the bead hole was a challenge so I decided to adapt this to a yo-yo and just used hot glue. You can see my stuffed yo-yo tutorial here.
The overall size is about 3" so it can be used as an ornament, or you could add ribbons and fringe to the bottom and turn it into a tassel. I'm not going to recreate the tutorial because Wesens-Art did a great job, please stop by for her instructions. I'll just add my notes.

Formula=Fabric about 5 times plus 1/2" the length of the bead, hat about half as long as the fabric.
  • My bead was about 1 1/8". I found a pack of 2 at Walmart for $1.
  • I cut a 5 1/2" circle of fabric from my stash for the body (I did not add the 1/2", you'll want to), turned the edge and sewed it into a yo-yo.
  • Added about 1 tsp dried lavender and enough filling to stuff it. You could fill these with dried beans if you plan to "sit" it instead of hang it.
  • I used burlap instead of felt for the flower piece, cut it about 2" and did coat the underside with clear nail polish so it doesn't fray. Also scrunched it up (pinched it towards the center) so it didn't stick straight out.
  • His hair is raffia glued to the bead and a jute "scarf" finishes the look.
  • The face was simply drawn on with a Sharpie.
  • I added a little pumpkin accent button that was part of a great give-away I won from A Cozy Place Called Home-Thanks Shannon!
  • This is a cute, fast project that's even more special if you have dried lavender from your garden. And of course you can make the ornament/doll without the lavender if you don't have any. It's a fun craft that I'm sure kids would love to make with you.
What am I going to do with my new fall friend?
Right now he's residing in my tiered tray centerpiece, he goes well with the fall barnyard runner!
Yo-Yo Pumpkin tutorial can be found here.
Once I decorate the feather tree for Halloween I might add a loop to his hat and hang him on that.

Have a happy day:@)

I'm joining:
Make The Scene Monday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Falling Into Fall
Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas

24 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn! Very cute! Looking forward to mums and fall decorating! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Labor Day Lynn. I trust you will enjoy the day and get that feather tree out because Fall is upon us here in the mountains. Your scarecrow is adorable. I will look at your tutorial but no promises. HA!

    Hugs Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful littl guy, but wait did you make those pumpkins too? Is that post coming up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made the pumpkins last fall, you can find the tutorial on my sidebar:@)

      Delete
  4. How cute! Happy Labor Day!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of stuffing him with Lavender!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn,
    This is so cute! Makes a great looking fall ornamnet.
    Won't be long now until fall is here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fall crafts!!! I am so excited. Ready to deck the halls with hay and Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's amazing. I'm back..and I missed you and your blog...have a happy Labor Day, xoxoxoxo, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynn,
    that turned out so neat. Love the plate with the pumpkins and the little scare crow.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. It's so cute. I love anything autumn. Happy Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is so cute!! I'll have to bookmark the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How adorable! I am SO ready for fall, yet despite the turn of the calendar to September we're still having temps in the 90s this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable, Lynn! - have he and Earl become friends yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute addition to the fall vignette. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute! I will have to tell my Great Aunt about these. She loves to make smaller crafts to have something to do in the cooler months. Thanks for the shout out about my blog, and I'm happy you found a way to use the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is too cute! Great job! Would love if you'd join our Countdown to Fall link party! Hope to see you there! Happy Labor Day! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/2012_09_03_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, gosh...so cute! I'm impressed that you're already on the move with your Autumn decor!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're just so talented! That little scarecrow is the cutest thing!! Thanks for sharing your newest Fall decor.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh I love him...did you paint his little face...he is awesome!..can't wait to see the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a cute addition to your Fall decor...thanks for sharing it at my party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable Lynn! Love the addition of the pumpkin button :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just adorable! I think it's time for me to get my fall decor out.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!