Scavenger Hunt Soup
1 Tblsp bacon fat
1 small onion-diced
1 large clove garlic-minced
1 large stalk celery, sliced
1 large carrot, thinly sliced-I made matchsticks
1 jalapeno, cleaned and small diced-loved the flavor this added!
1 large bay leaf
A few grinds of black pepper-I did not add any extra salt
3 C stock-I used ham
Cabbage, shredded-as much as you'd like/have, I added about 1 C
1 (14.5oz) can white beans, drained and rinsed
Leftover meat, diced
- Add bacon fat and onion to pot, cook 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, carrot and jalapeno, cook a couple minutes, stirring often.
- Add bay leaf, pepper and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage, beans and meat, simmer until cabbage softens up, maybe 8-10 minutes more.
- Remove bay leaf, adjust S&P if necessary and enjoy!
This was a wonderful, hearty soup and the only other thing I wish I could have added would be a potato.
I encourage you to explore your freezer and whip up a pot of soup using just what you have on hand!
Eat well and have a happy day:@)