I copied this recipe from that book.
We're coming into blueberry season in the Mid Atlantic and I thought I'd finally give these cookies a try.
2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C blueberries
1/2 C shortening
1 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp lemon rind
1/4 C milk.
I mixed the shortening and sugar, then added everything but the blueberries.
Gently fold the berries in at the end.
The recipe called for a greased cookie sheet, I used parchment.
Bake 375 degrees 8-12 minutes.
Ready for the oven:
Burstin' Berry Goodness:
- These are very good, I do recommend trying a batch while the blueberries are fresh!
- If you have extra berries don't hesitate to add them.
- They are a soft, cakey cookie, ok on day two, but best eaten when made (like that's a problem!).
- Usually I try to cut back on sugar, I suggest that you use the full cup.
- I added a pic of them on the baking sheet so you could see that it is hard to completely cover the berries with batter. I didn't worry about it too much.
- They would be beautiful with a cup of tea!
- The only problem I have with these cookies is, they are way too easy to eat:@)
Have a happy day!