Sunday, May 18, 2014

Rhu-Berry Pie

It's rhubarb season here in Philly and the plant in my yard is very happy this year! Bloggy buddy Lori shared a recipe for Blubarb Jam and while that's still on my to-do list I used it as the inspiration for this Rhu-Berry Pie. I thought the berries would be great for adding some color since my rhubarb is green. Oh, and they tasted pretty darn good too... The bites with blueberry were amazing:@)

I rolled out the top crust and just cut it with a pizza cutter, then made sure there was a little space between each piece so the pretty color could show through. While it still has a summer holiday feel, it was a little easier to put together than my Forever May She Wave pie HERE

Rhubarb has a flavor all it's own... I encourage you to give it a try.
Even though the boys were concerned about my changing their beloved rhubarb pie, this received great reviews!
And there isn't any leftover...

Rhu-Berry Pie
1 C blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 C strawberries, cut into chunks, preferably fresh-I used frozen
2 1/2 C diced rhubarb, 1/4" thick-can use a little more if you have it, just fill the pie plate
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 C sugar
3 heaping Tblsp A/P flour
double pie crust
  1. Mix the fruit with the cinnamon, sugar and flour.
  2. Pour into the bottom crust, add a top crust and bake per your favorite pie crust instructions. My homemade shortening crust bakes at 400 degrees for one hour.

26 comments:

  1. oh.my.GOODness! yum!

    my small-town grocer will sometimes carry strawberry/rhubarb pie - even if they're trucked in frozen, they're still good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful pie to celebrate the season with. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pastry topping is amazing and I love the star in the center.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to get a fresh fruit pie at Fresh market much like this recipe. Oh my....I could eat the whole thing! lol Blueberries are in season here in FL right now! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pie! Your pies are always so pretty! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this flavor combination sounds amazing! What a gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so good, I can see why there is nothing left. I love a good rhu-berry pie yum.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never met a pie I didn't like and rhubarb always steals my heart! Your pie is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never made a pie like this - but I would love to eat yours! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lynn, When we were kids we would cut a stem of rhubarb, then split it open and eat the inside. It was sour but juicy and I still love rhubarb, especially with strawberries. I'll definitely try blueberries with it now! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, YUM! Your pie looks so pretty. Wish I had a piece right now. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pie is beautiful, Lynn! I have been making a lot of pies lately. I purchased a book called Ms. American Pie Buttery Good Pie Recipes and Bold Tales from the American Gothic House, and it has stimulated my creative juices. I also have a 300+ page book on making pies and I'm learning how to make a yummy and attractive pie. I think you would enjoy the book. I read it in a day and a half! We have rhubarb, and I've given some away but haven't made anything with it thus far. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds so good! I've never made a rhubarb pie, but I'm pretty sure I'd love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous pie crust. Rhubarb always reminds me of my beloved grandmother. She grew it outside her back porch and she made the most amazing pies. Such memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, would I love a slice of this right now! Looks delicious. I think I've only once had rhubarb pie.
    Have a great week, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Rhuberry pie with your pizza wheel slices and star center looks beautiful Lynn! Rhubarb is something I've never had or cooked before. I keep telling myself I'm going to change that and your pie looks like a delicious way to start :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your starburst pie looks incredible, Lynn! I'm so glad the boys loved the pie. Having no leftovers means it was a winner, but sad for you not to have any to have for your lunch today. Guess that means, you'll be making another one! I sure wish I could try your pie since I've never had rhubarb. Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lynn, your star pie is beautiful, love the sound of the berry and rhubarb filling. Your boys are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE how this pie turned out! And it looks doable too! Brilliant!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oops, lost my comment... Thanks for the shout out Lynn. The jam, while great, isn't nearly as mouthwatering as that pie is. Yummy.
    I like what you did with the top crust. If only I could make a decent crust.
    Maybe when we move I will try making one again. The counter tops are granite so that may be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Next week we will have arrived in Maine where there will be lots of rhubarb. I love the idea of combining it with berries and I just happen to have some wild Maine blueberries left from last summer in the freezer. Your pie is sure to be a hit at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is one amazing looking pie! Have a wonderful holiday weekend!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  23. You usually see strawberry and rhubarb together, but I love the blueberry addition.

    Madonna
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous pie! I am collecting recipes to use my rhubarb and this one looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!