Monday, September 9, 2013

Rotel Cornbread

I love cornbread and sometimes change it up by adding different flavors... This Rotel Cornbread was very flavorful, had a touch of heat and was very moist! I could easily see adding cheddar cheese and maybe some ham or jalapeno (the extra color would be beautiful).

Preheating cast iron makes a great crunchy crust! **I reserve 1 Tblsp of the called for butter and after the batter is mixed, remove the skillet from the oven, add the 1 Tblsp butter and spin it around to coat the skillet. Then pour in the batter and bake as normal.
This post HERE has three different flavors: 
Orange-Rosemary, Jalapeno-Cheddar and Carmalized Onion-Bacon.
The recipe below is my go-to cornbread recipe, if you'd like it plain just leave out the Rotel.

Rotel Cornbread
1 C A/P flour*
1 C cornmeal
1 Tblsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 C sugar
2 eggs
1 C milk
4 Tblsp butter, very soft**-reserve 1 Tblsp if using a cast iron skillet-see above
10 oz can Rotel, drained very well
  1. Place 10" cast iron skillet in oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Note: This can be made in a greased deep pie dish or 8x8 pan as well, no preheating necessary.
  2. Add flour (*since this mix will be a little wetter I added 2 Tblsp whole wheat flour to my measuring cup before topping it off with A/P), cornmeal, baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs, milk and butter to mixing bowl. Mix until just smooth.
  3. Fold  in the Rotel.
  4. Pour into skillet or baking dish,
  5. Bake for approx 25 minutes or until done.
Spice things up and have a happy day:@)

19 comments:

  1. The addition of Rotel to cornbread would be a nice change. Thanks Lynn! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up loving cornbread and also Rotel. What a great idea to combine the two. Great job Lynn.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually add some shredded cheese and a small can of green chiles to mine, but I will have to try Rotel, it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up on cornbread and love, love, love it. I have never tried Rotel. Maybe it's time to.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made cornbread in a skillet -- how fun, and I would love the Ro-tel too in it. Those Halloween Barby outfits are so fun too. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  6. The three of us at this house absolutely love cornbread! We also love RoTel, but I'd never thought of combining the two. Thanks for the inspiration, Lynn! My MIL does a yummy cornbread recipe with broccoli and some other additions, but the two men in the house won't eat that. I'm the only one that likes it. :( I'm looking forward to cornbread with soup; it will soon be that time of the year. Have a great day!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Cornbread! We do not have that here but it looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious variation Lynn, I'm anxious to try it with soup in the coming months ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, maaaannn, first you go putting ROTEL in it...even their "mild" version is way too hot for me. THEN, on top of that, you're thinking of adding Jalapeno.....JUST FOR COLOR????!!! No way, Jose! I'm oughta here...I need a Tums just thinkin' about this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a wonderful variation Lynn. Hello. I've never met a cornbread I didn't like ~ and the addition of Rotel is a great idea!
    Wuzz that I am, I'll probably have to swap bell pepper for the Jalapeno . . . I used to LOVE spicy ~ when I was younger.
    Rett's comment cracked me up!
    Thank you for sharing the recipe. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd probably eat the whole pan right out of the oven, it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a couple of cans of Rotel in the pantry, Lynn. Wouldn't this be great with a pot of chili? If only our temperatures would dip a little. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynne, this is a great idea! We love cornbread around here and sometimes add jalapeño peppers or cheese. Will give this a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just craving cornbread the other day. This sounds yummy...I had never heard of Rotel until you shared it and of course I had to get it. Sure spices things up and also has a very good flavor.

    Have a great week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds wonderful Lynn! I need to check out the orange-rosemary and I'm drooling over the caramelized onion & bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love cornbread to the moon and back...I use the peppers and cheese in it a lot...just never thought about Rotel....omygosh...that sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds so good, Lynn! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is an awesome combination. Try adding some little smokies too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!