Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chive Blossom Vinegar - A Picture Tutorial

I use a lot of vinegar, a lot of vinegar... I was reminded of Chive Blossom Vinegar and decided to make it this year. The chives are in full bloom and loving the cooler, not very sunny, weather we've had for a while now in Philly. Glad something is:@) I just picked the flowers this morning 5/8/12, and wanted to get the tutorial up while everyone's were in bloom so you can make this too if you'd like.
The vinegar can be used in anything that would be good with a hint of onion, and especially salads.

Chive Blossom Vinegar
Pick the blooms, you'll want enough to fill your jar 1/2 to 3/4 full.

Soak them in cool water to remove dirt and any hitchhikers that may have come along for the ride indoors. 
I swished them around with my hand for a while.
Note: We were expecting rain so I was rushing to get pics before work, 
do take the time to remove the green stems and aim for fully opened flowers.

Dry them well, a salad spinner works great.  

Pack them in a jar. I had enough flowers for a 1 quart jar.

Fill jar with distilled vinegar. You want to use a clear vinegar because it will turn a lovely bright pink.

Cover and let steep in a cool dark place for 1 to 2 weeks.

Here's the color after 2 days:

Here's a shot at 8 days:
I tasted it, the onion flavor is very pronounced, I like it and think it's done.
They say you could let it steep for up to another week if you'd like, it's a all matter of taste.
Note: I did not strain it on day 8, it ended up being day 11. My personal opinion is, day 8 was perfect and fresh
day 11 seems "over done", or too ripe... not sure what the word is I'm looking for, 
but I prefer the flavor of day 8.

Once you get the color and onion flavor you like, strain and pour into any sterilized jar.
I strained it through a coffee filter placed inside a mesh strainer and got just under 3 cups.
They say the pink will fade if not stored in a dark place, but the onion flavor will always remain.

33 comments:

  1. Will watch for your results. Sure are a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a pretty project. Will be interesting to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last night, I saw this on a blog for the first time and fell in love with the beautiful color. What a nice surprise to find that you have the instructions this morning and I just happen to have a large chive plant getting ready to bloom...yippee! Thanks. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynn, I think I could get a pint with the amount of flowers I have. Nice idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward seeing it again in two weeks.

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chives..but I must say..that is just absolutely beautiful. I too can't wait to see it in two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn,

    I'm loving this already! ;) My MIL made herbal vinegar years ago, and gave me some in a pretty bottle. I think she may have made basil vinegar, but it was lovely to look at in the kitchen window. Yours looks pretty just like it is, but I look forward to seeing the end result. I love chives; they're pretty to look at in the herb garden and good to eat. Thanks for the tutorial and have a great day!

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eye candy, for sure! How beautiful!
    And I love baked beans. How interesting the last post was!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome idea ... now if I can find my chive plant. I believe it's been overcome by daylilies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's that easy? And really tastes like onion? I must plant some : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have chives, just waiting for the flowers. I would love this vinegar. Looking forward to seeing the color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have done this with a group of boys who were so excited to take home bottles of pretty flowers and vinegar many years ago.
    So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not plant any herbs this year. I've been lazy on that front. I wish so badly I had chives so I could do this. I'm pinning it for next year. Love this idea, and I'm nuts about using different vinegars.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cool! I can't wait to see the color. I had some lovely chives last year; I'm hoping to get some herbs planted again for next year once I get moved. I love a little bit of onion flavor, so I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My chives are also blooming so I hope it stops raining long enough to allow me to do this, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are so pretty, Lynn. Such pretty color...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is impressive and such a great idea! Can't wait to see what happens to the color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always thrown the flowers away and just used the greens. I didn't know about the vinegar, so thanks for sharing. I had to redo my herb garden this year after the one I had for years got a disease last summer. The other day I bought new herbs, so hopefully I'll have enough flowers to make some vinegar this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely will have to try this. The color is exquisite! We don't have any blossoms yet but what a great idea for when we do. What a nice gift too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The color of the vinegar is soooo pretty, Lynn! That would make a wonderful gift!! I also checked your PC beans and they look great. I haven't used my PC in awhile. I may have to pull it out and try those beans.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like fun and your photos are so enticing. I just emailed this to myself and my BIL (who currently has a garden full of blooming chives) so we could give it a try.

    Thanks for having the little email button at the bottom of the post. Very handy for saving and sending recipes and ideas. Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lynn,
    This is just awesome! My Chives are blooming and I can't wait to try your recipe, it is such a beautiful color. Hope you have a Very Special Week End and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks like such a fun project, and it looks so pretty too with the pink vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this! What a wonderful idea for a flavored vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a perfect pink Saturday post! Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is so pretty and sounds really interesting, what would you use it on/for?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Neighbor~ ~

    Thanks for sharing this recipe. I use quite a bit of vinegar too and want to focus on making my own this summer. I have read in some recipes that they heat the vinegar but it seems that would ruin the delicate herbs?? Have you tryed it? Last night I made a vegi stir fry and added vinegar to brighten the flavor and it was a hit. Enjoy this wonderful day here in SE PA.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  28. I sent this to my BIL as promised. He made it right away and we're waiting until it's "done," the two weeks. He sends his thanks.

    Have a great weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous vinegar Lynn! I need chive blossoms~ my chives seem to only produce a few wimpy blooms :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for linking this great tutorial up over at the Carnival of Home Preserving! Hope to see you next Friday!.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I didn't know chive blossoms are so pretty. Just bought 2 small plants to grow this year! Have you tried this recipe with any other vinegar? Would it work? Thanks. SongLinh

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome recipe! Thanks so much for linking up with me at #AThemedLinkup 16 for Gardening, open April 30 to May 10. All entries shared if social media buttons are installed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!