Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Elegant Rum Ball Cookies (or another liquor) -No Bake Cookie

It's cookie season folks!!! While I've been busy decorating for Christmas (and using up turkey leftovers:@) I thought I'd re-post a very pretty addition to the cookie tray...

G-Mom-B made Rum Balls every Christmas. And to be honest, I don't know how the rest of the family felt, but as a kid, they weren't a favorite of mine. I'd stick to spritz and walnut laden chocolate chip cookies-thank you very much! But... As time goes on I find myself occasionally taking little walks down memory lane (especially at the holidays) and I smiled when I remembered these cookies. It was time to make some some of these little no-bake gems!

Grandmom would roll them in powdered sugar, I chose to add a little colorful pizzazz... My favorite cookies for looks are the ones with sparkly gold sugar (elegant New Year's Eve party anyone?). My favorite cookies for flavor are the ones rolled in hot cocoa mix:@)  Oh and, see those two in the lower left corner? Green and white, how about making some in team colors for a football party, yep...

Thoughts:
  • Recipe is easily cut in half.
  • It's always a good idea to toast the nuts before grinding them.
  • I used my 3 C food chopper on the cookies and nuts and it did a fine job in no time.
  • Use any liquor of choice, spiced rum, bourbon, Grand Marnier, flavored vodka, schnapps, etc.
  • Don't want to use alcohol? Substitute orange juice.
  • Start with any store bought cookie of choice, chocolate, graham crackers, gingerbread, etc.
  • Use any nut of choice, walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc.
  • These cookies are rich and strong, I suggest keeping them small, a pop it into your mouth, one bite size.
  • I'm seriously lovin' that great gold glittery sugar from Wilton! 
  • Store in airtight container if serving/gifting soon, or place in fridge/freezer for longer storage.
for more ideas:@)

Rum Balls-adapted from Taste of Home
2 1/2 C crushed vanilla wafer cookies
1 C ground nuts, either pecan or walnut-I used walnuts
1 C powdered sugar
2 Tblsp plus 2 tsp baking cocoa powder-I'm fond of Hershey's
1/4 C rum-I used Myers Dark Rum
3 Tblsp honey or corn syrup-I used corn syrup
2 Tblsp water ~or~ I opted for more rum:@)
Colored sugar, powdered sugar, crushed cookies, ground nut bits, cocoa powder, hot cocoa mix, or anything else that sounds good to roll them in.
  1. Toss everything into large bowl, knead it with clean hands until it comes together.
  2. Roll into 1", bite size, balls. Roll in sugar, etc, to coat the cookies.
  3. Store in airtight container for a few days so flavors mingle. I hear they can be frozen too. If coating them in powdered sugar or hot cocoa mix, chill without the coating and give them a quick toss before serving or gifting.
Enjoy a cookie and have a happy day:@)

1 comment:

  1. I love how adaptable this recipe is...great way to come up with some flavor combinations...Hubby just bought some Kraken Rum...can't wait! Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!