Monday, December 2, 2019

Slow Cooker Carrots with Brown Sugar, Celery and Onion

These Slow Cooker Carrots with Brown Sugar, Celery and Onion are another extra side dish for the holidays when stove and oven space are at a premium. The original recipe finely diced the celery and onion. I'm a big fan of celery and left mine in thicker slices, and like the color and texture. Now, everyone prefers their veggies cooked to a certain tenderness... I've given my notes below for a tender, yet still has some bite cooking time, you can click the link for the recommended time. The original recipe calls these glazed carrots, while I can't quite call them that... I ~can~ say they'd be great on your holiday buffet and we all enjoyed them with Sunday dinner:@)

Slow Cooker Carrots-adapted from Taste of Home
2 lbs fresh baby carrots-I used regular carrots sliced 1/2" thick on diagonal
1 celery rib, finely chopped-I sliced mine a hearty 1/8" diagonal
1 small onion, finely chopped-I thinly sliced mine
1/4 C packed brown sugar
3 Tblsp butter, cubed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper-I just used a few hearty grinds
  1. Add everything to slow cooker, give a quick stir. 
  2. Place dish towel under lid, cook on high for 1 hour, stir.
  3. Replace towel under lid, cook on low for 1 1/2 hours.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

1 comment:

  1. These sound like a great side dish, Lynn, and putting them in the slow cooker makes it easy and forget about it until dinner time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!