If you're a fan of shortbread cookies, you might want to try taking them to the next level by using brown butter. I think you'll like the nutty flavor it adds:@)
Ghraybeh or Lebanese Shortbread Cookies-from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
1 cup butter, browned
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 3/4-2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 drop almond extract (optional)-I did not add this
Almonds for garnish-optional
- Cook the butter in saucepan on medium-low until the butter is a golden color.
- Remove from the heat and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Pour the powdered sugar into a large bowl and add the butter. Mix on low until it’s combined and the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the flour a little at a time, mixing until it forms a ball.
- Roll dough into balls and press almonds into the top if desired. Place on parchment lined surface-I used my air baking sheets, no parchment. This will make approximately 24 cookies (Liz says she gets 2-3 dozen).
- Bake 13-15 minutes in preheated 300 degree oven, they shouldn't brown. Cool very well before removing from baking sheet.