Thursday, December 13, 2018

Gumdrop Spritz and Oxo Cookie Press Review

The boys treated me to a new Oxo Cookie Press recently. A new kitchen toy for me = more cookies for them, that's what we call a win-win here:@) Oxo is the one brand I don't ever see at thrift stores or being sold used on Ebay. I've always guessed that's because it works well and decided to test that theory with a little holiday baking... One of my favorite things about these pretty little spritz cookies is how easy it is to decorate them. These Gumdrop Spritz would add a great pop of color to a cookie tray! I love the addition of sanding sugar too, it sparkles and helps add to the gumdrop theme. This will be a ~sweet~ cookie folks, but it's great for the holidays or to use up some candy after Christmas.

While we can use spiced gumdrops, I think these cookies are best made with the fruit flavored ones. If you cut the gumdrops into thirds, you'll have two sugared ends and one glossy circle. In my world, the sugared ones are for gifting... The ones with the middle of the candy are for the baker:@)

Thinking about getting yourself a new cookie press? If you've been around Pig In Mud for a while you know spritz cookies are a recurring theme. I have at least 7 presses (been collecting them at thrift stores for the different shaped discs for years). So this will be an honest review from someone who is very familiar with cookie presses:
  1. I have to admit, this is a very nice press to work with. I was talking to a woman who said the twist ones hurt her wrist and the trigger ones were hard on her hand. Oxo uses a lever, simply push down on the lever (with one finger), it's that easy.
  2. These cookies will be a little thinner/flatter than those from the old Mirro press. But that's not unusual for newer presses at all.
  3. My least favorite thing is having to push that gray button in to pull the plunger up. It seems a little hard. It's not a game breaker though and may loosen up with time and use.
  4. A special bonus for me, the Oxo press will work with many discs from other sets. I've suggested before, if an old press dies, always save your discs... My Mirro discs work in the Oxo. So do the Kuhn Rikon, Ateco and many other vintage discs I've picked up along the way.
  5. Clean-up is the same with all of them.
  6. Bottom Line: If $30 is within your budget, I do recommend Oxo over other brands. Ease of use would be my number one reason. This is a press even kids can use, and let's help keep the tradition of making spritz cookies going for another generation...
 Look at all that sparkly yumminess and fun!

Gumdrop Spritz-adapted from old Mirro Recipe 
1 C shortening and/or butter-any combo of the two, I used all shortening this time
3/4 C sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 C A/P flour, sifted
1/2 tsp salt-I add an itty pinch
1/4 tsp baking powder-I cut back to 1/8 tsp
food coloring-optional-I didn't use this time
1/2"-ish size gumdrops cut into thirds
Extra sprinkling of sanding sugar for decoration-optional
  1. Cream shortening/butter and sugar well. 
  2. Beat in egg and vanilla. If using food coloring I add it now.
  3. Gradually blend in dry ingredients which have been sifted together. Sssshh...I don't always sift...
  4. Fill press and form cookies on ungreased (not non-stick) cookie sheets.
  5. Gently press gumdrop into the center if each cookie.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
  7. Remove to cooling rack.
Enjoy a cookie and have a happy day:@)

~Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Oxo and my sons purchased the press.

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Meal Plan Monday
Happiness is Homemade
Craftastic Monday
The Scoop
Wonderful Wednesday

9 comments:

  1. You inspired me to dig out my thrifted press a wilton new never used and use it. Press cookies are very hard I looked up tips and used them. Like keeping my cookie sheet cold. It was not an easy process. I reused a lot of dough from bad cookies and it took much to long.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience. I hope you'll give them another try and that things go better the next time. I've had great success with the recipes that call for melted chocolate, either of these below:@)
      http://happierthanapiginmud.blogspot.com/2012/06/white-chocolate-spritz-cookies.html
      https://happierthanapiginmud.blogspot.com/2016/12/nestles-melted-chips-chocolate-spritz.html

      Delete
  2. I made a double batch of your peanut butter/chocolate. And one batch of the honey spritz, yesterday. Both went over well (did have to add 1/3 cup more flour) Will try the gum drop ones next. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these with my kids now I might get a new press and make with my Grands! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely sift either, Lynn, but I use a whisk to aerate and mix. I saw a baker do that in a demo. Thank you for the review on the oxo press. I love, love that pretty disc. The gumdrops add a nice sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to look into that press! My old Super Shooter still works, though it takes some trial and error to get the timing just right :) Love this gumdrop version! All the best to you and your family this Christmas, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More adorable cookie spritz creations! I had to laugh when I read about the win win situation!! I have several OXO things, good quality

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute Lynn, love the gumdrop centers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I love the addition of gum drops! All red and green would be fun for Christmas (except I don't like the taste of green ones, LOL).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!