Friday, July 13, 2018

Mermaid Tail Pattern for Barbie and the story behind my Barbie posts

I treated myself to a lazy morning of scrolling through Etsy and happened upon Mermaid Tails for Barbie. I thought they were cute and remembered this blingy fabric at Walmart and the next thing I knew, I was in the car... A fun little bonus, the fabric was on clearance so 1/4 yard (easily enough for 4 tails) was 63¢. You could make simple tops out of the scrap fabric too, I used the sequined headband from my bathing suit tutorial HERE.

Now let me say upfront, I do not have the patience to be a proper seamstress, no I do not
So some of my ideas are the kind a 10 year old might come up with:@)
This is one of those...

If you search 'Barbie mermaid tail' on pinterest you'll find ideas, patterns and directions.
There are even links to buy them from Etsy and Ebay.
I just roughly drew this, the flat side goes against the folded fabric and cut 2.
Place the right sides together and sewed 1/4" seam from side, around tail and up to the other side.
Turn right side out, push tail points out.
The opening will be wide-and easier to get on the doll...
I just made a waist band from a stretchy headband (cut to size and hot glued together),
pulled it over the doll's hips and held the tail in place with that.
If you want to sew a waistband, you'll have to add length to the top of the pattern.

I know some might wonder... Why does a woman with grown sons and no grandkids put Barbie doll posts on her blog? Well, I'll tell you:@) One of my favorite childhood memories is, one day Ma sewed me a brand new pair of pajamas, then she took the fabric scraps and sewed a matching pair for my Barbie! Boy I thought I was a hot shot and felt very special indeed! Here at Pig In Mud I try to share simple ideas folks can make for ~or with~ girls, hoping you too can build special memories. My Barbie board on Pinterest can be found HERE.

Make something just for fun and have a happy day:@)

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I love this,, I'm on Pinterest all the time, too much maybe but haven't seen this mermaid tail!! I love to sew and even though my blindness is making that a bit harder/ impossible this is one thing I must do,, when you spoke of the mama made pj's and doll clothes from scraps you described my childhood and how I sewed for my girls, I love this, thanks so much for sharing, I'm so glad I found you and are following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea too and I'm wondering if I have any shiny fabric to make one! My Mermaids could use some new clothes! heehee! Thank you! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable Lynn!! CC just started playing with Barbies so I finally can make her some of your smart creations I've been pinning!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention that my mom used to make clothes for my Barbies too! Such sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! My little Grand Scout loves mermaids so this Grammie might have to try to make this for her Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Barbie looks so pretty as a mermaid! I love the memory of the matching pj's, Lynn. My mom used to make clothes for my Barbie's too (only I think mine were called Miss Revlon dolls!). I made matching outfits for my two littlest granddaughters. I should whip up a matching doll outfit. Harper loves mermaids, so I need to make her a outfit like you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable Lynn! My sister and I had every Barbie accessory made I think. We would have loved to having matching PJs to Barbie :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!