Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Heinz Deviled Eggs with Ketchup, Mustard and Relish - Retro 1950's Recipe

According to Wikipedia: The term "deviled", in reference to food, was in use in the 18th century, with the first known print reference appearing in 1786. In the 19th century, it came to be used most often with spicy or zesty food, including eggs prepared with mustard, pepper or other ingredients stuffed in the yolk cavity. ~Zesty~ Well then, this Heinz Deviled Eggs recipe is the recipe that puts the 'deviled' in deviled eggs folks.
Don't know about you... But the idea of adding ketchup to deviled eggs is new to me? Add in this silly advertisement/recipe card from the 50's and I just had to try them! Ma was a willing taste tester and we both thought these tangy and puckery eggs were pretty darn good! So, if you're looking for something ~just a little different~ this Easter, don't hesitate to give them a try:@)

I love that the recipe is scaled down to four eggs too.
My suggestion, fish the relish out of the jar with a fork (tap on lid of jar to remove excess liquid)
and let fork rest on a paper towel for a few seconds to dry even more. 

Let's use up those dyed eggs and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
The Scoop

6 comments:

  1. Love that recipe card! Another great deviled egg recipe, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had ketchup (and Heinz is the only brand I buy!), in my deviled eggs, but it sounds great. I love the old timey recipe card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ketchup addition is new to me too, I bet it is very 'devilish'...love that retro recipe card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My deviled egg lover would definitely approve!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!