Saturday, October 21, 2017

Variegated Halloween Crinkle Cookies from Cake Mix

I wanted a colorful, yet easy, seasonal cookie, and every once in a while it's fun to try new things... There was a white cake mix in the cabinet so Orange and Green Variegated Halloween Crinkle Cookies sounded good. We all enjoyed these festive cookies at Sunday dinner and the leftovers eerily ~vanished~ at work the next day:@) I ended up with 24 large cookies at a cost of less than $1.50-not bad. Don't hesitate to use any flavor cake mix or extract and spices that sounds good, pumpkin spice anyone?

Tip: One comment I've read is that the powdered sugar doesn't always show up on the cookie after it's baked (and that's an important part of this cookies' appeal). Pillsbury suggests redipping the tops in powdered sugar after the cookies have cooled for two minutes. I coated my cookies well before baking and did not have this issue.

2018 Update:

Another colorful idea, Halloween Snickerdoodles HERE. Instead of rolling in regular sugar and cinnamon, use orange and green colored sugar.

Crinkle Cookies from Cake Mix
18 oz white or yellow cake mix-my cake mix was 15 oz from Dollar Tree
2 eggs
1/3 C vegetable oil-I used 1/4 C oil
1 tsp vanilla extract-or flavor of your choice
orange and green food coloring-I used Americolor gel coloring
Powdered sugar for coating
  1. Thoroughly blend cake mix, eggs, oil and extract. 
  2. Split dough in half, color the halves orange and green. Chill if it's too sticky to handle.
  3. Use a little of each color, roll into 1" balls.
  4. Roll each ball in powdered sugar, coat really well.
  5. Place balls on parchment or silpat lined baking sheets, 2" apart, 12 cookies per sheet maximum.
  6. Bake at 375 for 9-13 minutes, or until cookies are dry and golden on edges. My cookies did take an additional 3-5 minutes.
  7. Remove to cooling rack. Store in air tight container.

7 comments:

  1. I love the look of crinkle cookies! Very cute idea for fall and Halloween, Lynn! The pumpkin spice idea sounds delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so FUN! I never would have thought of making a bi-colored crinkle cookie. Love them! P.S. Family went up to Green Bay for the game today. I don't think it will be pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crinkle cookies turned out great Lynn! I love their vibrant color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crinkle cookies look like spooky eyeballs Lynn! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love crinkle cookies, Lynn, but have only made the chocolate kind. Cissy and I need to make these! I love Americolor gels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynn,
    Your Halloween Crinkle Cookies look like a very special treat for all the spooks! Thanks so much for sharing your post with us at Full Plate Thursday! Have a great week and come back to see us real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!