Tip: One comment I've read is that the powdered sugar doesn't always show up on the cookie after it's baked (and that's an important part of this cookies' appeal). Pillsbury suggests redipping the tops in powdered sugar after the cookies have cooled for two minutes. I coated my cookies well before baking and did not have this issue.
Another colorful idea, Halloween Snickerdoodles HERE. Instead of rolling in regular sugar and cinnamon, use orange and green colored sugar.
Crinkle Cookies from Cake Mix
18 oz white or yellow cake mix-my cake mix was 15 oz from Dollar Tree
1/3 C vegetable oil-I used 1/4 C oil
1 tsp vanilla extract-or flavor of your choice
orange and green food coloring-I used Americolor gel coloring
Powdered sugar for coating
- Thoroughly blend cake mix, eggs, oil and extract.
- Split dough in half, color the halves orange and green. Chill if it's too sticky to handle.
- Use a little of each color, roll into 1" balls.
- Roll each ball in powdered sugar, coat really well.
- Place balls on parchment or silpat lined baking sheets, 2" apart, 12 cookies per sheet maximum.
- Bake at 375 for 9-13 minutes, or until cookies are dry and golden on edges. My cookies did take an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Remove to cooling rack. Store in air tight container.