Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Jack-O-Lantern German Apple Cake

I've kicked this post around for a couple weeks, is this a neat idea or scary bloggy blooper? Chose to click publish and let you decide:@) Every time I make this cake I think the apples are beautiful and would lend themselves to seasonal designs. And since it's Halloween... I just had to try this Jack-O-Lantern German Apple Cake. A little orange sugar helped to make it look like a pumpkin and melted chocolate created the facial features.

I sprinkled cinnamon over the top of the batter before placing the apples, instead of mixing it with the apples. And I say this every-single-time I make this cake... add more apples! More apples would have been a beautiful thing:@)

German Apple Cake-adapted from A Spoonful of Sugar
1/2 C butter, softened
1 C sugar-I use 1/2 C
2 eggs
1 C A/P flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 C sugar-I used 1 1/2 Tblsp of orange sugar
1 tsp cinnamon-I sprinkled this over the batter instead of mixing with the apples
3-4 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced-I used 2 large apples
  1. Cream the butter and sugar, mix in the eggs.
  2. Mix in the dry and spread the batter into a greased 9" spring form pan (batter will be thick). I only have an 8" pan so that's what I used.
  3. Mix the additional sugar and cinnamon with the apples and arrange them in a circular pattern over the batter. You should have an outer ring and an inner ring. Press the apples into the batter lightly. I just arrange the apples and sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar over them. I usually end up with leftover broken little bits of apple too so I pile them into the center. Original post HERE.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 50-60 minutes. 
  5. Cool completely and traditionally it's served with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Happy Halloween Baking Everyone:@)

5 comments:

  1. Lynn, I love your Apple Jack Cake! Your orange sugar and frosting features make it scarily perfect for Halloween. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your German apple cake looks awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Apple Jack Cake is so festive, Lynn! I sure could use a slice of it right now with my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any excuse to make an apple cake is fine with me! So I'm definitely a fan of this Jack-o-lantern dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is beautiful. I wonder if we could pull it off without the jack face.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!