Sunday, August 9, 2015

Chocolate Zucchini (or Yellow Squash) Sheet Cake

When life gives you an abundance of zucchini, may I suggest you make cake:@) Chocolate Zucchini Sheet Cake to be exact. What I love most about sheet cakes is how quickly they bake and they always stay moist. I had a yellow squash so that's what I used. Thoughts: Grease the pan well. Be prepared to work quickly with the frosting-it begins to set fast and most importantly... If you're worried about a picky eater wanting to know what the "funny stuff" in the cake is, peel the squash. It's only the peel that shows up in the cake, not the flesh. This is a great cake folks, I think you'll really like it if you try it!
 I made a half batch, only used 1 egg and baked it in a 9x13" quarter sheet pan. 
If you'd like some other options click for: White Sheet CakePumpkin Sheet Cake, and Pound Sheet Cake.
Thanks for another great sheet cake recipe Jenn:@)

Chocolate Zucchini Sheet Cake-from Eat Cake for Dinner
2 1/2 C A/P flour
2 C sugar-I cut back to 1 1/2
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C butter
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
3 eggs
1/2 C buttermilk-I used 2% milk
2 tsp vanilla
2 C shredded zucchini-I used yellow squash
  1. In large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt, set aside.
  2. In small saucepan over medium beat melt butter, add cocoa powder and stir until smooth and combined. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and add to dry ingredients along with everything else. Mix well. (I suggest adding everything but the squash, mix well and then stir in the squash.)
  3. Pour into greased 13"x18"x1" baking sheet and spread out evenly. 
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched (15 minutes in my oven).
  5. Remove from oven and top with frosting.
Chocolate Frosting-from Eat Cake for Dinner
3 1/2 C powdered sugar
1/2 C butter
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 C buttermilk-I used 2% milk
1 tsp vanilla
  1. Add powdered sugar to a large bowl (I did sift mine), set aside.
  2. In small sauce pan over medium heat melt the butter. Add cocoa powder and buttermilk and stir until smooth. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and pour over powdered sugar. 
  3. Add vanilla and whisk together until smooth and creamy. 
  4. Quickly pour over hot cake and spread out evenly. 
Let's use up that overachieving zucchini and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Craftastic Monday

9 comments:

  1. I have made a cake with zucchini and it was so moist! Never heard of yellow squash cake though! Great tip on the peeling, thanks~ I'm off to check out the pumpkin cake :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the perfect way to use up a surplus of squash, Lynn. I agree with you on peeling the zucchini or squash for picky eaters. They'll never know that there's a veggie inside! I'll bet your hungry eaters enjoyed the dessert!
    Happy Sunday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, boy, this is one scrumptious zucchini cake! And you're definitely right about peeling---my family loves to scrutinize every bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's how I like to eat my squash Lynn! It's always good to keep those veggies a secret. I sent chocolate zucchini cupcakes to my hubby's office and made the mistake of telling them they had zucchini in them. I never would have guessed grown women would have been so picky about eating their veggies, even with a side of chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't carry about the funny stuff in it. If it's chocolate I'm gonna love it.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks seriously delicious. I love Texas Sheetcake! (that's what we call it around here) Chopped pecans in the frosting too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, this looks and sounds delicious, Lynn!! I think this is a great way to serve veggies -- a stealth delivery. :) I love squash anyway, and I'd be happy to eat it in chocolate cake. Thanks for sharing your recipe; I hope you have a great week!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a good day to forget my lunch at home. This looks amazing! I'm especially loving the idea of sneaking in a veggie with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!