Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Greens-N-Beans Soup (Quick Smoked Sausage and Kale Bean Soup)

I needed to whip up something quickly for lunch and this Smoked Sausage and Kale Bean Soup turned out to be a very nice meal. Believe it or not, I've never eaten kale before, it's only been used as a garnishment on deli trays... So I wanted to try it. The cooked leaves kinda have the same texture as cooked spinach, with maybe just a bit more body. The flavor has a little earthy green to it, I likey:@) I can see myself adding kale to vegetable soups going forward. Could this be a vegetarian soup? I'm sure of it, especially if you have a little liquid smoke in the cabinet. 
Recipe easily cut in half.
Can use less sausage, beans are a great way to get protein while cutting back on meat.
Don't skimp on the garlic folks, I used big cloves, it's important for flavor.
If you'd like to add more broth, I suggest adding some extra garlic.
This is one of those soups that's great the next day too:@)

Greens-N-Beans Soup (Quick Smoked Sausage and Kale Bean Soup)
1 horseshoe of smoked sausage or kielbasa, approximately 1 lb-or as much/little as you'd like
1-2 Tblsp olive oil
Large onion, diced, approximately 1 C
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 C chicken broth
(2) 15 oz can beans of choice, drained and rinsed-I used great northern beans
10 oz frozen kale
S&P to taste
  1. Brown sausage and remove from pan.
  2. Add olive oil and onion, cook over medium heat around 5 minutes.
  3. Add garlic, stirring continually cook for about 1 minute.
  4. Add broth and beans, bring to light boil, reduce to simmer for about 5 minutes.
  5. Add kale, bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook until heated through, maybe 5 minutes.
  6. Add S&P to taste.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an easy, flavorful dinner idea! And Bill would love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy, tis the season for soup! My favorite way to eat kale is pan stir-fried with garlic...
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the type of soup I like to make during the winter months. I love adding kale to soups and thanks for this recipe and for the reminder to make this soup Lynn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!