Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Autumn Beans with Apple Cider, Bacon and Raisins

Here's another fun baked bean variation, we loved these Autumn Beans with Apple Cider, Bacon and Raisins! The boys kept saying add a dash of cloves and they'd be Holiday Beans for Christmas. They'd make a great side dish with ham and only need to simmer for about 20 minutes once the bacon is done cooking. While the recipe calls for apple cider, I didn't have any at the time and used some frozen condensed apple juice. That turned out to be a tasty addition! I also felt they needed just a bit of brown sugar:@)

Autumn Beans-adapted from Taste of Home
8 strips of bacon-I used 4 strips and all of the fat
1/4 C onion, chopped
1 C apple cider-I used 1/4 C apple juice concentrate
2 cans (16 oz each) baked beans with juice-I drained one can
1/4 to 1/2 C raisins-I used 1/4 C
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1-2 Tblsp brown sugar, optional to taste-my addition
  1. Fry bacon until crisp, remove to paper towel and break into small pieces when cool.
  2. Drain fat reserving 2 Tblsp, fry onion in bacon fat until tender.
  3. Add everything else, stir, bring to light boil, reduce heat and lightly simmer for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Wonderful Wednesday

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, Bill would go for this, too. Sans raisins of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh apple cider or juice would be a tasty addition! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a interesting combo Lynn, I would never think of adding raisins to baked beans!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!