Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Tropical Treat Coleslaw with Pineapple and No Mayonnaise -Diabetic Friendly

One of my sons really loved this crunchy, pickley Tropical Treat Coleslaw with pineapple, green peppers and celery. I give it a thumbs up with one small modification... It needs to be a little sweeter for me. And since it's made with Splenda, that shouldn't be a problem:@) The cabbage and peppers make it similar to a couple other slaw/hash recipes I've made before, I'll add links to them below. If you're looking for a side salad that doesn't have mayo this summer, you might want to give this a try. A nice little bonus, it's diabetic friendly too.
 I've added the 'jalapeno' label, a red one would be pretty and a little heat might be nice with the pineapple... 
Just sayin':@)
If it fits into your diet, a little shredded carrot would add some nice color too.
And while I understand pineapple isn't the best fruit for a low carb diet, I think(?) this still fits in fairly well with that diet.

Other recipes you might like:
Philadelphia Pepper Hash (early blog picture... *ugh*) and Pepper Slaw

Tropical Treat Cole Slaw -from Everyday Diabetic
2 C shredded cabbage
1/4 C thinly sliced green pepper
1/4 C thinly sliced celery
1 tsp onion powder
8 oz pineapple tidbits, drained
1/4 C white vinegar
3 tsp Splenda-or more to taste, obviously can use sugar if desired
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper-seems like a lot... I did cut back
We thought a few shakes of celery seed might be a nice addition too
~ Mix everything and let marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. A Lock-N-Lock bowl works well, just flip it when you open the fridge.

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

4 comments:

  1. this sounds so good, I haven't thought of pairing Pineapple in coleslaw but its sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good Lynn, I prefer a non mayonnaise coleslaw and I love fruit in salads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful, Lynn. I make cole slaw a lot without mayo, but do add Splenda for some sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a vinegar based slaw, especially for summer Lynn! Love the idea of some pretty red pepper and carrot too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!