Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Pumpernickel Bread -Bread Machine Recipe

If you like hearty breads folks, this Pumpernickel Bread made in a bread machine will not disappoint! I have to say it rose well, had a beautiful smooth top, a very robust taste and we were all very pleasantly surprised. Another nice bonus, this makes really, ~really~ good toast too. This recipe gets my 'darn good' label and will be in our dinner rotation often! One of the best things about a bread machine... It doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer:@)
Can this be made without the vital wheat gluten? Probably, but I haven't tried it. 
I found a jar on clearance at Walmart and stuck it in the freezer so I'd have it for just this sort of recipe.
My recipe is for a one pound loaf, you can click the link for larger loaves of bread.

My favorite bread machine, the Mini Zo:

Pumpernickle Bread-from Bread Machine Recipes
~printable recipe~
3/4 C warm water
1 Tblsp vegetable oil
1/4 C molasses
2 Tblsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds, optional-I added them
1 tsp salt
1 C A/P flour
1/2 C + 2 Tblsp rye flour
1/2 C + 2 Tblsp whole wheat flour
1 Tblsp vital wheat gluten
1 tsp yeast
~Add everything to bread pan, select basic cycle/soft loaf and let 'er rip.

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

6 comments:

  1. I know you know good bread machine recipes so I'm definitely going to try this one! Thanks, Lynn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I bet the toast is amazing, and sandwiches too, I'm drooling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. I think I'll make a loaf this Saturday so it's fresh to take to my parents' house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally donated my ancient bread machine, but I'd love to try this the old fashioned way---so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pumpernickel bread, Lynn! I keep vital wheat gluten in my pantry, and add it when I make my bread from the Civil War starter that I've been making bread with for years now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!