As with most melted sugar items, it's best that the kids don't help and stay out of the kitchen until the popcorn cools, a stray 'pop' can cause a burn. Keep your heat at medium/high and brown sugar is a little more difficult to melt than white sugar, be sure to break it up before you sprinkle it into the pot and keep shaking! I think subbing white sugar would be fine if you'd like to.
Oh and, if you'd like to try this without the wicked... Pumpkin Spice Popcorn can be found HERE and regular Kettle Corn HERE.
Wicked Pumpkin Spicy Popcorn
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/8th tsp cayenne pepper
1/8th tsp black pepper
salt, at least 1/8th tsp-I did sprinkle more on top
3 Tblsp vegetable oil
1/3 C popcorn kernels
3 Tblsp brown sugar, packed, then broken up
- Mix spices in small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium/high in large pot with 3 kernels of popcorn.
- When they begin to pop add the rest of the popcorn and give it a good shake.
- Break up the brown sugar and add to pot, give it a good shake.
- Once it starts popping keep shaking. When the popping slows down carefully pour popcorn into a glass bowl. Immediately sprinkle with half the spices, toss and sprinkle with the rest. Add extra salt if desired-I desired. I poured mine onto a cookie sheet so I could get the spices on the popcorn as quickly as possible while it was still hot and sticky.