Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Nutty Apple Bars -diabetic friendly

These Nutty Apple Bars are chocked full of apples and you can really taste the vanilla too. They whip up in no time and the batter bakes up light and fluffy with the apples and nuts making a nice chewy contrast. The recipe didn't call for it, but I did add some cinnamon and that turned out to be a good idea:@) While they are called bars and you could pick them up... I suggest a plate and fork because they are very moist and you'll want to get every last crumb. Don't hesitate to give this recipe a try folks, I think you'll be happy you did!
Thoughts:
  • Even using a somewhat tart apple like Macintosh, I felt 1/2 C sugar would have been plenty, although the kids thought it was perfect as is. The diabetic site suggests using a sugar substitute.
  • I think pears could be subbed or mixed and matched.
  • Walnuts can be subbed for pecans-which is what I did.
  • Apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice could be subbed for cinnamon if desired. 
Nutty Apple Bars-from Every Day Diabetic Recipes
2/3 C sugar
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C A/P flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon, optional-my addition
2 C chopped apples-I aimed for 1/4" dice
1/4 C chopped pecans-I used walnuts
  1. Spray 8" square baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Whip sugar, egg whites and vanilla until light and frothy.
  3. Whisk in flour and baking powder (cinnamon if using) until combined.
  4. Fold in apples and nuts.
  5. Bake at 350 for 23-25 minutes or until toothpick near center comes out clean.
  6. Cool on wire rack, pour a cuppa and enjoy!
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
The Scoop
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

9 comments:

  1. Good idea to add the cinnamon. It goes so well with apples.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect Autumn treat, Lynn, and I liked that the family gave its approval.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm still drinking my 'morning' coffee and these would go great, i think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. apples and walnuts were made for each other, sounds perfect Lynn~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your apple bars look delicious! I'd love this recipe with pears, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really craving some of this right now! I love your pecan substitution too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn,
    Your Nutty Apple Bars look fantastic. I will have to make these for my Tuesday Night Study Group, they will love them. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a wonderful day.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!