Monday, August 3, 2015

Zucchini Rice

My son walked in yesterday and said "it's official, the neighbors won't take any more of my zucchini"... Welcome to August as a gardener son! Guess who got the squash??? I thought Zucchini Rice would be a nice easy way to use some up. Nothing ground breaking here folks, simply stir grated zukes into the rice the last minute or two it cooks, add butter and S&P. One zucchini off the counter:@) And I like the color of this side dish.
While I've never frozen zucchini before I'm going to try that too. 
I think it will be nice to add a shredded cup or two to soups this winter. 

Zucchini Rice
2 C water or chicken broth
2 tsp Chicken Better Than Bouillon if not using broth
1 C long grain rice
1 large zucchini, grated-approx 1 C but just use what you have
butter if desired-I desired about 2 tsp:@)
S&P to taste
  1. Boil water with bouillon (or use broth instead), add rice, stir occasionally until tender.
  2. About 2 minutes before it's done cooking stir in zukes. 
  3. Add butter, S&P and serve immediately.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

15 comments:

  1. Make ratatouille! The rice looks delicious too.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dish. I invite you to share your post with others on my new photo meme called "Through My Lens". The link is down below. Thanks!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the specks of green in the rice, Lynn, and what a nice mom to take some more zucchini from your son. Rich used to always grate zucchini for me and we would freeze it to use in zucchini bread for later on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rice with veggies so this looks super good to me. I wish I had a neighbor with zucchini to spare!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful rice. I freeze zucchini all the time. It works perfectly in breads and cakes . Just let it drain and squeeze out the excess moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to sneak in some of that zucchini! Looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dish, zucchini is great in so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great way to eat your veggies Lynn! I'm expecting a friend's extra zukes any day now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea to add some zucchini to rice. First, it will taste great and two, it's pretty.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to try this - I love zucchini! I freeze grated zucchini and when I defrost is, I squeeze a lot of the moisture out of it and then use it in baked breads/muffins (so I actually will freeze 3 cups if recipe calls for 2) Never used frozen Zucchini in soups, but that is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It adds such a pretty color to the rice. I am the only one who doesn't get much zucchini out of her plants, but the tomatoes are doing very well this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can always use a new zucchini recipe! Thanks Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your rice looks delish! And I'd be happy to take some of that zucchini off your son's hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I was his neighbor Lynn, I love zucchini :) We had some in rice lately too, and I put some in the veggie enchiladas we're having tonight. I just love this versatile vegetable~ sweet that he brought some to his mama :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's at this time of year I always regret I don't have a big enough space to grow zucchini. At least I don't have to figure out what to do with it all :) This does look delicious and a quick addition to the rice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!