I used 2% milk but if there's room in your diet for it, I'll bet they'd be great with anything right on up to heavy cream.
There was a lot of flour in the original recipe, I only added an extra tsp to a standard white sauce and would leave that out next time.
Creamy Red Potatoes and Peas-adapted from Favorite Family Recipes
6-8 new potatoes, cubed
1 C frozen peas
1 1/2 Tblsp butter
1/8 C onion, sliced thin-optional but good
1 Tblsp A/P flour-maybe an extra tsp if you like your sauce really thick
1 C milk or cream
S&P to taste
- Steam (or boil) potatoes until tender, add peas a couple minutes before the potatoes are done.
- While potatoes cook, melt butter in skillet, add onion and saute until tender.
- Add flour and stir in well.
- Add milk and cook until thick and bubbly, add S&P.
- Mix potatoes and peas with white sauce.
- Enjoy dinner!