I loved that while the recipe makes around 7 half pint jars (I ended up with 6 1/2 jars), it only calls for 4 cups of sugar.
If you've made jam before you know that's on the low side...
Sketched labels tied on with a little rafia made this Carrot Cake Jam-Easter Bunny approved:@)
Carrot Cake Jam-adapted from Wicked Good Kitchen
2 C finely grated peeled carrots
1 C peeled tart apple, finely diced-I used granny smith
20 oz can crushed pineapple, including juice
3 Tblsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg-I just grated some into the pot
1/4 tsp ground cloves-original recipe called for 1/2 tsp, I'd even use less than 1/4 tsp next time
handful of raisins-optional-I did add them
1.75 oz package of dry pectin
4 C sugar
1 Tblsp molasses
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 C flaked coconut-optional-I didn't use this
4 Tblsp finely chopped crystallized ginger-optional-I used 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Add carrots, apple, pineapple with juice, lemon juice, spices and raisins if using, to a large stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add pectin and stir until dissolved.
- Return to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Once it boils add sugar and molasses, stir until it comes to a full rolling boil. Cook for one minute.
- Remove from heat and skim top if necessary. Stir in vanilla, add the coconut and ginger if using.
- Ladle into sterilized jars and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars from pot, place on a kitchen towel to cool, count the pings and love life!
Eat well and have a happy day:@)