Thursday, August 14, 2014

Got a new kitchen toy! And Twice Fried Chicken Wings

It all started with the Fried Zucchini... While it cooked up fine in my cast iron skillet I couldn't help but think a little deep fryer would work better... And I got to thinking about how I don't buy wings anymore because the price is just crazy... Then QVC put a little 1 quart personal fryer on clearance for $20 HERE and it came with fondue forks-how retro cool is that!!! So yes, while I kicked it around for a few days (not fond of shipping charges) I did decide to pick up the fryer, and I'm glad I did:@) My first munchie using it-Twice Fried Wings. I didn't know you could make amazing wings at home folks!
I fried them in vegetable oil and used Frank's Hot Sauce.
The key is a low simmer to cook the meat and then a deep sizzle to crisp up the skin-really good!
Here are a few of QVC's pics of my fryer, it's a great size for one person, 5-6 monster wings fit with no problem.

Twice Fried Hot Wings-from SeriousEats
  1. Pat wings/drumettes dry.
  2. Add wings and oil to cold fryer, turn to 225-250 degrees, chicken should be gently bubbling away.
  3. Cook until chicken is cooked through, skin will be soft but not brown, about 20 minutes.
  4. Remove from oil, place on paper towel lined tray/plate. Let cool for about 1 hour. (You can make quite a few and freeze them at this point, then just re-fry them when ready later).
  5. Mix hot sauce and butter in small sauce pan, cook on low until butter has melted. Transfer to a big bowl.
  6. Heat fryer to 375-400 degrees. Add chicken and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 10 minutes.
  7. Remove chicken from fryer and add to bowl, toss to coat wings.
  8. Serve with celery and blue cheese dressing.
Put on the stretchy pants, grab some napkins and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

16 comments:

  1. you're getting into the little stuff - small fryer, small hibachi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stretchy pants on! I'm ready to rumble with some chicken.
    Have you sent my cake yet? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have a Fry Daddy and loved it. Then, it quit working and I never replaced it. I've been thinking of getting another deep fryer and this one looks like a good one.
    O, how my crew love hot wings.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wings look delish Lynn. I think it was a good investment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always fun to buy yourself a new little kitchen splurge. I hardly ever deep fry but when I have the urge, I love my little fryer. Your's looks like a beauty and what a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, but you're going to be cooking up lots of wings during football season! I love your new kitchen toy and yes,it's just the perfect size for you. The price was right, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look fantastic! There are so many uses for those babies! I had a "Big Daddy" deep fryer back in the day. The kids loved the homemade french fries I made. Unfortunately, I had a difficulties in storing it and what to do with the oil. Still, I think I would get one again! :) Enjoy!!

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wings really rock and I like the idea of the small fryer. Just the right size for wings.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been tempted to buy a deep fryer, too, but the price was always prohibitive for the times I'd actually use it! What a great deal...and terrific wings :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to have a personal fryer! Your wings look picture perfect! I have a big fryer that requires a gallon of oil. It is fun to use, makes perfect onion rings and shrimp, but you need to be making a lot to justify it's use~I have to go check this out!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mouth is watering! Congrats on your new toy and delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been tempted many times to buy an electric fryer, but never followed through. I would have bought this one on QVC at that price--it looks like a fun party gadget! Your wings look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We were just talking about wings last night Lynn. You small fryer sounds ideal for one or two! Love the method of a first fry then freezing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mom has a fryer, but we just don't use it as often as we used to. This would be such a fun thing to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lynn,
    Your Wings look amazing and will be perfect for those upcoming games we will be enjoying. I am sitting here wondering what I ever did with my deep fryer, I am going to look for it. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been looking for a little fryer. Thanks for sharing your wings and goodie at Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!