Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Fried Zucchini with Cornmeal

If you search Pig In Mud you'll only find one recipe that's truly deep fried, the donuts HERE. Oh I might fry/saute some veggies in bacon fat here or there, but I'm talking about taking the plunge into deep fat frying... Well here's the second recipe and I loved every single bite! This Fried Zucchini with Cornmeal was different for few reasons: 1. There were no wet ingredients other than the cut edges of the zukes and onions, so it's a little lighter... 2. The onion rings add amazing flavor to the oil! 3. The cornmeal makes them crispy and you might just ask yourself, is this really zucchini???
Pin It
While I don't encourage eating like this often, what a fun splurge-especially since I was gifted the zuke from my son's garden! I chose to dress it with nothing more than a nice sprinkling of kosher salt but don't doubt spaghetti sauce or ranch dressing for dipping would be great too. Just when I was about to say I wasn't feeling the love for zucchini this summer... this recipe came along and changed that! I think you'll like it if you try it folks:@)

Fried Zucchini with Cornmeal-from Allrecipes
2 zucchini, sliced, either 1/4" rounds or approx 1/4" wedges-I deseeded mine
1 onion sliced into rings, at least 1/4" thick
1/2 C A/P flour
1/2 C cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
a couple shakes of cayenne-optional
1 C vegetable oil for frying
  1. Mix the dry ingredients in large bowl, add zucchini and onion, add lid and shake well.
  2. Let sit for 30 minutes so a batter forms on the veggies (I kept giving it an additional shake).
  3. Heat oil in medium skillet and fry veggies in a few batches (a cast iron skillet works really well for this). Check after a couple minutes and turn the veggies once the bottom gets nice and golden brown.
  4. Drain on paper towels and add an additional sprinkling of salt.
  5. Note for deep fryer: 375 degrees, 4-5 minutes.
Enjoy something a little naughty every once in a while and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

19 comments:

  1. These look amazing Lynn! Just add some ranch or marinara dipping sauce and I would consume the whole plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I splurge now and then and order onion rings when we are dining out ,but homemade is much better. Love them with the cornmeal zucchini.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love an occasional deep-fried zucchini or onion ring or.... When I think about doing it, I wonder what to do with the oil afterwards! One cup shouldn't be a problem though.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being from the South, I love just about anything fried, and your zucchini and onions look soooo good. I'm definitely going to make these. Thanks Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure don't mind an occasional splurge of fried foods, either, Lynn. These onions rings and zucchini sticks look so crunchy-good. I love that there's only 1 cup of oil to fry in!!
    Hope the thumb is healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i use the same recipe only I add either Cajun Seasoning or Old Bay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds SO good! Now I know what to do with a zucchini if someone gives me one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet these veggies were awesome,

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH, I am drooling over this. What a way to serve up the zucchini! It just looks crunchy and wonderful and I can imagine the flavor the onion rings impart. I just love onion rings and these look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, they look fabulous, Lynn! If I use gluten free flour in the mix they can also be gluten free and my entire family can enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love zucchini, but never tried it fried! Looks very yummo!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love zucchini in just about any incarnation, so I'm saving this one for that time when summer and zucchini time returns to my part of the world :-)
    Visiting from Foodie Friday. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yeah, I could make these disappear in a flash! I love deep fried everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd sure be willing to try this! It looks amazing what what a great side for grilled meat or chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This will be on my menu today! Oh yum. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just pinned your awesome recipe! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!