Sunday, August 25, 2013

Summer Baked Beans

My love affair with beans continues! These Summer Baked Beans are a fun twist on traditional BBQ Beans and as soon as I saw the string beans I had to try them. My only major change was replacing the lima beans (which I would have loved but my boys... not so much) with black beans. I liked the color the black beans added though:@) I also cut the brown sugar back to 1 cup.
 This recipe can be made in the oven, in the crock pot or on the grill.
Leftovers will be lunch tomorrow with a big ole chunk of cornbread:@)
We thought they were great-don't hesitate to give these flavorful beans a try folks!

Summer Beans-adapted from Saving 4 Six
1 lb Jimmy Deen Sausage, browned
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 can pork and beans, including liquid-approx 16 oz
1 can lima beans, drained and rinsed-approx 16 oz-I used rinsed black beans
1 can cut green beans, drained-approx 16 oz
1 can cut yellow wax beans, drained-approx 16 oz
4 Tblsp ketchup
2 Tblsp BBQ Sauce-I used Sweet Baby Ray's
2 Tblsp yellow prepared mustard
1 1/2 C brown sugar-I used 1 C and even cut that down the next time I made them
  1. Start browning sausage, when half way done drain some grease if necessary.
  2. Add onion and celery and finish cooking sausage.
  3. Mix everything together in 9x13 baking dish, large cast iron skillet (if baking on the grill) or crock pot vessel. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for one hour or in crock pot on low for 3-4 hours (my guess is the crock pot is covered).
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Mix It Up Monday
Inspire Me Tuesday
Inspiration Exchange
Full Plate Thursday

13 comments:

  1. I am a big black bean fan. This would be great for a Labor Day BBQ.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beans too and you always post the best recipes. This dish is no exception. They look yummy. ps I like lima beans too and made succotash this past week :) There aren't too many lima lovers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds like a complete meal, which would be perfect for any time. I'm with your boys on this one, Lynn...I like skipping the Lima beans and subbing them with the black beans. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of beans, but not one of baked beans. Too sweet for my taste, and I'm definitely with your boys on lima beans.
    Now red beans and rice with a spicy sausage, that's what I'm having tonight. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nothing says summer like baked beans!! I am always looking for a new baked bean receipe for bbq's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this...Really like the mixture of beans. I like the twist on traditional baked beans.

    Happy summer.


    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really have never had beans baked with sausage. It sounds delicious, sort of like a grown up version of beanie weanies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never have thought of this combination and in fact, with the string beans it doesn't sound all that good to me...but, it looks so good that I'm sure it is delicious! Love the idea of sausage in the beans...a full meal by itself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, lima beans wouldn't fly here, either. But your version of these baked beans would!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this sounds sooooo good. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy those beans look good Lynn! Love the idea of the cornbread dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have had a great weekend and have a fabulous week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM!!! This sounded soooo good... I made it over the weekend... it was a BIG hit with my family. I have a vegetarian in the family, so I made a second pot with no meat... she said it was good....
    This is a keeper... thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!