I had embellishment plans for the crust but half the dough recipe as written barely makes enough to fill the pie plate, so you would need to make extra to do anything fancy.
Tar Heel Pie-Womans Day Nov 2012 Issue
1/2 C butter, melted
1 C semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/3 C A/P flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp instant coffee granules
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1 C pecans, roughly chopped-toasted would be nice
Whipped cream for serving-optional
Standard Pie Dough-make half
2 C A/P flour
2 Tblsp sugar
1 tsp Kosher salt
6 Tblsp butter, cut into small pieces
6 Tblsp shortening, chilled
4-8 Tblsp cold water
- For the Dough: Mix flour, sugar and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in the butter and shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle with 4 Tblsp water, add 1 Tblsp more at a time until the dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed.
- Shape into a 1" think disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least one hour and up to 2 days.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough and fit into a 9" pie plate.
- For the Pie: Melt butter, place chocolate chips in a large bowl and pour the warm butter on top, stir until smooth.
- Add the sugars, flour, eggs, vanilla, coffee and salt, mix to combine. Stir in the nuts.
- Pour filling into the pie shell. Bake until set and the crust is golden brown, 30-35 minutes.
- Let stand for at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
- I found the coffee pronounced in this recipe, you might want to start with 1/2 tsp and add more if desired.
- I used walnuts. Why? Say it with me now... 'cause that's what I had on hand... right.
- Full disclosure: This is a new pie crust to me, I've never added sugar before. The top of the crust that you fold under stuck to the lip of the pie dish. It also broke off when trying to remove slices from the dish. Instead of laying the crust over the lip I would try to keep it more vertical with the sides.
- All in all, this is a great dessert and something a little different for chocoholics:@)