Saturday, October 20, 2012

Jack-O-Lantern Dyed Deviled Eggs

Do you have all your pumpkins in a row? Halloween is only days away and in case you're looking for one more fun idea, I broke out the orange food coloring and made Jack-O-Lantern Deviled Eggs.
The faces are black olives. I think they could be pickles, jalapenos or roasted red peppers too.
I used a star tip aiming for it to look like the ridges on a pumpkin,
next time I'd either use a large circle tip, a bag with the corner snipped off
or just stick with the more popular 'spoon and plop' method:@)
I think the key to the pumpkin look is, you need to take the yolks up onto the white area. Don't just fill the hole as I did with the Zombie Eyes, fill the whole 'white' surface.
You might want to boil an extra egg or two for the yolk-the dog will love the white...
This isn't a hard project at all, just a little time consuming and older kids could easily help out.
Here's a shot so you can see that I've dyed the whole white of the egg.

Jack-O-Lantern Dyed Deviled Eggs
  1. Boil and cool hard boiled eggs. The technique I use is take eggs out of fridge, boil water, add eggs gently with spoon and boil for 15 minutes. Pour off hot water, replace with cold water a couple times and let eggs cool. It works perfectly for me.
  2. Cut in half, pop out the yolks.
  3. Make a dye of 1 tsp vinegar, 1 cup of hot tap water and food coloring. Normally I use drops and would add at least 20-25, but I wanted to dye these faster so I used Wilton Icing Coloring Gel this time. I added a good 1/8" drop from a toothpick and stirred until it dissolved. 
  4. Add egg whites and leave in dye until desired color (I added 2 at a time). Mine took about 4 minutes. Eggs I've made with food drops have taken longer, and it always takes longer once the water cools down.
  5. Turn upside down (hole pointing down) onto paper towels to dry. 
  6. Make your favorite deviled egg mixture (I just add a squirt of yellow mustard, some mayo, S&P). Add a little orange food coloring.
  7. Fill eggs and embellish with cut out face features.
  8. For more of my dyed deviled egg posts: Easter or baby showerRed White and Blue, and Zombie Eyes.
Have a fun Halloween:@)

I'm joining:

45 comments:

  1. you take playing with your food to a whole 'nother level. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estupenda receta me gusta,lindo diseƱo,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have the best deviled eggs! I'm going to have to bookmark this recipe too. So cute.........

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I sent this post to my daughter!!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I always make the deviled eggs for every family gathering, I am gonna try these for halloween!
    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute!!! What fun for a Halloween dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are sooooooo cool. I love them. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, these make me laugh. love them!! so cute. (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omigosh Lynn, I would never have thought of making jack-o-lantern faces on a deviled egg. Leave it to you to add that touch of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynn~ Your JOL eggs made me laugh & look devilishly cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! I might have to try making some of these for our Fall Festival at church. I think everyone would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn,
    The eggs look great! I do love devilled eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice...and tasteful, I'm sure!
    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are the cutest deviled eggs I've ever seen! LOVE them...'course I love deviled eggs the "regular" way too, but these are just the cutest. Thanks for the instructions for how to make them.
    Hugs,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bill loves deviled eggs...and these are perfect for Halloween! Another great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute, clever and tasty! Gotta love all three in one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is PERFECT for the party we are going to on Fri. night! I am to bring a snack and these will be a big hit! Thanks so much, everyone likes deviled eggs and these are ghoulishly cute!!!!!!!!!!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this idea! So fun!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are just the best deviled egg creator EVER, Lynn! I also saw that recipe in BHG for the kettle corn and I LOVE your version for less sugar. I'm a big fan or kettle corn, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Who needs a Zoulah when you have Earl to help you come up with all these great Halloween ideas? Joni

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pinning this now! They would make wonderful treats for a Halloween party! How do you keep coming up with all these wonderful ideas, Lynn??

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are such a hoot!!! You really bring the fun to ON THE MENU MONDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lynn, I always am amazed at what you create for fun. This is very high on the list of fun.
    BIG smile here.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pinning this one! I love how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love deviled eggs and these were so cute I had to pin them! You always have the cutest ideas for decorating food! By the way, you asked on my blog if Holly wold be dressed up for Halloween this year. Um, a little birdie told me she may have a post up at the end of the week and her buddy Missy might be making an appearance with her. Tell Earl he needs to dress up too! I promise not to hand out any bacon treats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are an incredibly good food artist! Amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. How fun is that! I love that you dyed them. I never thought of such a thing. You are so creative and so much fun Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those are so cute, Lynn! You did such a great job on them and they really do look like pumpkins with ridges.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just as cute as can be. Love the little faces.

    ReplyDelete
  30. If I were having a Halloween party or even a fall festival party or something, I would just have to make these! That's just cute. Plus, I love deviled eggs. Kind of addictive to me, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  31. And I think you should try making Christmas ornaments like that. I'll be waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love these "devilish" eggs. :) So cute for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  33. New follower here! I love this idea for Halloween!! We've got our own chickens, so I'm always looking for new ways to use all the eggs we get! Pinning this one for Halloween! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my word. How awesome. I want to eat these up!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are so creative! I love this recipe--- my girls will adore these. Thanks for sharing on Cowgirl Up this week. I am featuring your project on my FB page, please grab a "I Was Featured" button from the blog.
    :) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crafty-Texas-Girls/140299076008437

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a great idea to take an already delicious food and make it into a delicious Halloween treat! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    T'onna

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are just too cute. I love foodie things that look like jack-o-lanterns, but try to stay away from so much sweet stuff. These eggs are wonderful. I'm pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is adorable! You are very creative!I love the way you made it look like the ridges of the pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love food fun! These are so cute. Thanks so much for coming out to the party at Clean and Scentsible. I will be featuring these tomorrow. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Halloween!
    Jenn :0

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Lynn,
    These are the cutest little deviled eggs ever, I will be making these. Have a fabulous weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love it! Saw you link up on a bunch of link parties. Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop and added it to your list www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Aren't these clever! So very festive and I am sure quite delicious! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!