Thursday, September 20, 2012

Zombie Eyes- aka Dyed Deviled Eggs

I've made dyed deviled eggs for Easter and the Summer Holidays before, how about some for Halloween this time... I think the kids (big and small) will really get a kick out of these Zombie Eyes!
Pin It
 I took some to the 8 year old boy across the street and all I heard was "Whoaaaa!"
I'm guessing he thought they were neat:@)

Ma brought me some Wilton Food Writer Pens to play with, I used the red-thanks Ma
I drew the red on after I stuffed the eggs, I suggest doing it before you stuff them.
Tip-While these were designed for cookies/marshmallows it's fun to come up with other uses for them.

Zombie Eyes
  1. Boil and cool your hard boiled eggs. For a perfect hard boiled eggs technique click HERE. I've been using it for years!
  2. Peel the eggs and wash under cold water, you don't want anything left on them.
  3. Mix 1 tsp vinegar, 25 drops green food coloring and 1/2 C hot tap water into a cup. 
  4. Place egg in cup until it reaches desired color. I wanted a monster green, took about 10-12 minutes per egg.  This is the most time consuming part of the project.
  5. Remove egg from cup to paper towel lined plate.
  6. Cut eggs in half long ways and pop yolks into bowl. 
  7. Make your favorite deviled egg mixture and fill the eggs. I used a disposable icing bag and Wilton 21 star tip. 
  8. Cut a small black olive in half and drain on paper towel. Place the side without the hole in the center of the deviled egg. An added bonus, my black olives have a little X in them-I got a chuckle out of that:@)
  9. Use food safe pens for the 'bloodshot' part. Food safe markers can be found in the craft stores and CakeMate Food Writer pens can be found at the Walmart too.
  10. Serve to your favorite ghouls and gobblins.
A follow up note: I saved 2 eggs to see how long the red would look good. It worked well for hours. Since the eggs are a little wet the red did begin to spread out and was blurry by the morning.
So I'd make these and serve them within 2-6 hours for best eeriest presentation.
You can always dye them early then make the deviled eggs closer to the party.

Have a happy day:@)

I'm joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits
Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas
Commercial Break Thursday
Foodie Friday
Farmgirl Friday
Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday
Food Friday
Strut Your Stuff
Inspiration Friday
Mix It Up Monday
On The Menu Monday
I Gotta Try That
Whatever Friday Halloween Linky
Hungry Happenings Share Your Edible Halloween Crafts
Halloween Party

29 comments:

  1. Lynn! This big kid LOVES your Zombie Eyes! What fun~ I NEED some Food Writer Pens :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Whoa" is probably the very highest of compliments from an 8 year old. I've never seen those pens. Very clever eggs Lynn and sure to bring a lot more compliments.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a mother of four hard boiled egg lovers. I must say, you have a winner. These are fabulous. I will have to order the pens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do enjoy a scary halloween feast - these are fabulous!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I did not know about food writer pens. Now I must have some! Zombie eyes are wonderful! Everyone loves deviled eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so darn creative! What a fantastic Halloween idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those egg eyes, too funny. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn,
    I love cutting food with scissors, but writing on it??!! What fun! The eggs turned out great.
    I do love me a good deviled egg!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynn,
    thats nice for Hallowen. I think this pens are gogeous for many purposes.
    Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have outdone yourself this time!!!!! I can hear the screeches from the grandkids now...My mom is our family's stuffed egg queen so I will be forwarding this to her now. I think you should win a prize for this one! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. :O I thought those were my eyes....I was up until midnight helping little sis on a school project :/ Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great! Have to check out those markers, now I want deviled eggs for lunch!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't even know food writing pens existed! They look like fun!

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the zombie eyes, Lynn! I think I'll gift myself with some food writer pens as I love fun kitchen tools.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are great - they scared me to death!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa!..wowser!...yikes....where'd you get those eyes...love this too the full moon,and watching around every corner for the haints and boogers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun are these!! You're so creative! Love those food pens, I have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look fantastic, Lynn, and perfect for a Halloween breakfast or as a Halloween party appetizer! You always come yup with the best ideas! I love the Food Writer pens

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fun is this! I"ve got to get some of those pens and make those eggs. Like you say, young and old will enjoy. Thanks for sharing with plenty of time to get everything to make them before Halloween.
    Happy Weekend.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lynn,
    I just love this idea, I need to get me some of those markers, I am going to have so much fun! Hope you have a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really cute!!

    Are you enjoying the cooler temp.'s we have been having in Pa.????

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are so creative and fun! Please come share them on my linky party!
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/link-party-here_24.html
    Thanks,
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!