Monday, October 25, 2021

Retro Bologna Dip or Spread

Oh yes, I was curious... The minute I saw this Retro Bologna Dip or Spread I just had to try it:@) The original post calls it Bologna Salad and uses it as a sandwich spread. Now, if I'm gonna have a bologna sandwich, I'll simplify life and add slices to bread:@) ~But~ if I'm interested in making a dip for football or holidays parties, well, then I'll break out the food chopper! The best part, one 8 oz pack of Oscar Mayer bologna at Dollar Tree approximately makes a party size 1 1/2 C of dip. Gotta love that. This is a highly customizable dip folks, like celery and relish? Add more. Grandmom make something similar with Miracle Whip? Go ahead and use that... Anything goes, and I think a little pimento would be pretty too.
I estimated a third of a batch with 8 oz of bologna.
Leftovers? Would probably be good on a bagel for breakfast:@)

Retro Bologna Dip or Spread-from The Country Cook
1 1/2 lbs bologna, cut into chunks
1 hard boiled egg-can add more
1 stalk celery, chopped-can add more
2 tsp onion, finely chopped- can add more
2 tsp sweet pickle ~or~ dill pickle relish-can add more, I used sweet
3/4 C mayonnaise
1 Tblsp prepared yellow mustard
Assorted crackers, sturdy potato chips, bagel chips, cocktail bread, celery stalks, etc
  1. Add bologna, egg, celery and onion to food processor. Use quick pulses to finely chop everything. Scrape down sides occasionally.
  2. Mix with relish, mayo and mustard. Make it how you'd like for it to taste.
  3. Stir in S&P to taste.
  4. Best if you can let mingle in the refrigerator for at least 1-2 hours.
  5. Serve with crackers, etc.
Enjoy an old fashioned snack and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:

6 comments:

  1. oh YUM Lynn!! This sounds so good!! -- bologna -- I love it. Do you remember veal loaf too, or olive loaf? We used to have fried bologna sandwiches too, but nothing beat plain bologna on white bread with mayo and mustard. Oooh I think I must find some! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn, this brings back fond memories for me. My mom called this ham salad, but used bologna and had a food grinder. We loved it! She only used sweet pickles, onion and Mayo in hers. Thanks for the tip on the Dollar Tree bologna. Happy munching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although no ham is involved this spread was called ham salad when I was growing up. My mom used ring bologna, not the slices and that's what I used until it became unavailable. Now I use the slices. I'm in my mid 70s now and this has been a recipe without a recipe as long as I can remember. I think it tends to be Midwestern in origin but I could be wrong about that. I just made it for my grandsons a couple weeks ago when they came to visit. They love this "ham salad" on sandwiches. I do too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TheHub loves bologna and we have a ball game Saturday coming up! Bologna dip for the win maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I used to make this years ago and forgot all about it !! I used sweet relish, chopped onion and mayo...thanks for the recap !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An Oldie but Goodie, for sure! I just love these spreads that we enjoyed and we still do enjoy them here at the cottage. Thanks so much for sharing with us on Full Plate Thursday, 560 and hope you come back again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!