Saturday, May 19, 2018

Don't Derail the Diet Healthy Oatmeal Cookies

Disclaimer: Don't worry, there will be plenty of fattening foods coming up, I'm just trying a new recipe:@)

Everyone ready for bathing suit season??? Yea, me too:@) I just saw this on Pinterest, whipped up a little test batch and wanted to share... Now, let me say right upfront, these are ~not~ what I would normally think of as a cookie, I like mine crunchy. But they are soft, slightly sweet, chewy, the only sugar is from fruit and they would be a good treat while on a diet (or to curb the amount of sugar kids eat). Actually, they could be a nice little grab and go breakfast food too. And if you like raisins, they add even more sweetness. So if you're curious, give 'em a try folks, you might just like them!

The write-up doesn't give a lot of instructions, here are a few notes from me:
  • Line baking sheet with parchment paper so the bottoms don't burn.
  • Drop by tablespoon onto parchment and flatten batter to about 1/4" thickness. They do not spread while baking.
  • I used old fashioned oats, instant oats might be better? Not sure.
  • Used non-sweetened applesauce.
  • Didn't have almond milk, subbed Half and Half.
  • I started checking them at 15 minutes and ended up baking them for closer to 25-30 minutes.
  • I let them sit on the baking sheet for a few minutes when out of the oven, then placed them onto a cooling rack.

Have a great weekend everyone, it's a soggy one in Philly:@)

4 comments:

  1. I would love to make these...no sugar...YAY! I use bananas to make pancakes now. I still can't eat much of the natural sugar but it's nice to have something sweet...even just a little! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg.. they look amazing. I will make these soon. I went bathing suit shopping the other morning and gave up and went to mcdonalds. seriously, I bought some athletic shorts that will serve and my swimsuit bottoms and said forget it (only I didn't say forget) and treated myself to a greasy breakfast sandwich.
    Next week.. I will get back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like chewy, and these sound good, Lynn. Thanks for working up a small test batch!
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, I've tried a version of these breakfast cookies I spied on Pinterest. I subbed cranberries for the raisins and added some chocolate chips. They were pretty tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!