Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Mexican Wedding Spritz Cookies

How about a sweet treat for Cinco de Mayo this year... Mexican Wedding Cookies have been on my baking to-do list for a long time, so when I saw this spritz version, I just had to whip up a batch! They were a big hit both at home and work. While the dough might feel a little thick and heavy, it really does come out of the press and stick to the baking sheets nicely. These cookies are flavored with cinnamon and orange and while the batter isn't overly sweet, the dusting of powdered sugar makes them perfect:@)

I can press a batch of cookies a lot faster than I can roll the dough into balls:@)

I used this little oval disc for these cookies and think they turned out kind of fancy and pretty.

Mexican Wedding Spritz Cookies-from Muy Bueno
3 C A/P flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tblsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger powder
1 C shortening
1 egg
3/4 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C orange juice, freshly squeezed if possible
1/8 C orange liqueur-I just added more orange juice
1 Tblsp orange zest
Powdered sugar for coating.
  1. In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger, set aside.
  2. Cream shortening until creamy. Add egg and sugar and cream until smooth.
  3. In small bowl combine vanilla, orange juice, liquer and zest, set aside.
  4. Add dry ingredients slowly to wet, mix until just combined.
  5. Fill cookie press and press cookies onto a cool, ungreased cookie sheets.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees 8-12 minutes-it did take a little longer for my cookies to begin to get golden on the bottom.
  7. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
  8. Dust cookies with sifted powdered sugar.
  9. Store cookies air tight in fridge or freezer.

Enjoy a cookie and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Share Your Cup
What to do Weekends
Meal Plan Monday

8 comments:

  1. Lynn, these would be a big hit in our home! Glad you are having a yummy week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Yummy cookies! Love them. Easy recipe. I have tried a simple cookies only with 3 ingredients...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sure are pretty. And I LOVE the little poncho on Barbie! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty! I cracked up when I read you could press them out fast, I pictured a fast motion video of you madly spritzing dough!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful spritz cookies, Lynn!!!! I can't wait to get out my cookie press and try these for Cinco de Mayo. I don't have that pretty disc shape, but I'll think of something. The cinnamon and orange flavor with the ginger sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely Mexican Wedding Spritz Cookie, I love Mexican Wedding Cookies! Your Mexican Poncho for Barbie is adorable! Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing your with us at Full Plate Thursday!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love Mexican wedding cookies Lynn and your spritz version turned out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Mexican wedding cookies too and what a great idea to turn them into spritz!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!